Question My cpu is not preforming as it should be?

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Thought that my VRM was getting over heated so I changed out my water cooler for the stock cooler. The results really didn't change. Been going thought my cpu settings and nothings seeming to change the outcome. Did a benchmark with the stock cooler and here are the results I got. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17443575. The average temp with the water cooler was Min of 24 c and Max of 35 C. Then the stock cooler gives me a temp of around 30 C. Idk if my cpu is going bad or it just not configured to my motherboard correctly?

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019
The B350 tomahawk has pretty decent VRM heatsyncs by the look of the board.
Do you have any fans near the VRMS?
What temperatures were your vrms at?

When does this situation occur?
So i had watercooler on my cpu and I changed it out for the stock fan cpu cooler. Nothing really changed. I checked to see what the VRM was running at my the board doesnt have a sensor for it. This started to happen about 3 or 4 months ago. I've always had problems with this cpu they have just started to worsen over time.

I don't think VRMS would cause 9 threads (what?) and 4 cores to disappear, so something is up there.
I would perform a CMOS reset. This should be a setting within your bios. Likely next to save and exit it will say "Set bios settings to default" and click that.
You may have to enable XMP after that.

Last edited:

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Perform a cmos reset.
1)Should be a "reset all bios options to default" option in your bios.

2) (if you cant fined setting for step 1) You can also turn your pc off but leave psu on. Bridge the 2 pins near your cmos battery and boot the pc.

You will have to reenable xmp.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Ya one of my freinds did but i could never fingure out how to change it back. He changed it to one core to save energy.
If your friend down-cored your CPU to save you power, and you never switched it back, then I think that would be your problem. If you're saving power you are also going to have a performance loss if you aren't running all your cores.

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Perform a cmos reset.
1)Should be a "reset all bios options to default" option in your bios.

2) (if you cant fined setting for step 1) You can also turn your pc off but leave psu on. Bridge the 2 pins near your cmos battery and boot the pc.

You will have to reenable xmp.
I reset the bios and noting really changed https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17456930. Actually the overall performance of the pc went down lmao. What else could it be? Is it just a shit cpu?

XMP isn't enabled now, so Ram is running at 2133mhz. As I said you will have to reenable XMP.
He must not have changed anything in the bios, so its likely a windows or program setting.

Do you have Ryzen master installed? Is Windows power settings set to Ryzen balanced? That will save you power without losing performance.

Reactions: rgd1101

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019
XMP isn't enabled now, so Ram is running at 2133mhz. As I said you will have to reenable XMP.
He must not have changed anything in the bios, so its likely a windows or program setting.

Do you have Ryzen master installed? Is Windows power settings set to Ryzen balanced? That will save you power without losing performance.
enabled XMP and the pc is not even booting into the bios. The os is not booting either. What is happening?

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019

The results didnt change https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17305907. I just noticed that i did a benchmark 7 days ago and it is so much better then what im getting now. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17286272. I've changed monitors between now and then so idk it that would change it or not.

Good to know, Ryzen Master was causing the issue as I guessed.
Now that you have all cores and threads recognized:
Likely part of the reason your CPU is performing poorly is your ram. Ryzen needs ram at 3000 or faster. Your 3200 kit is only running at like 2666 MHz, which would cause the CPU to perform badly.

GracefulDead

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Good to know, Ryzen Master was causing the issue as I guessed.
Now that you have all cores and threads recognized:
Likely part of the reason your CPU is performing poorly is your ram. Ryzen needs ram at 3000 or faster. Your 3200 kit is only running at like 2666 MHz, which would cause the CPU to perform badly.
I spend my ram to 2933 and its working fine. It didn't change the results tho. So have i pretty much maxed out the amount if performance i can get out of my cpu? beside overclocking which i will probably do when i start to have more time in my life.