[SOLVED] My cpu is overheating, always (help urgently needed)

May 30, 2021
hey, so my cpu is basically always around the range of 75° C - 95° C or 167 °F - 203 °F

i am aware that this is extremely dangerous, and I don't know of any good fix

i'm using a lenovo laptop and my cpu is an intel i7 5500U (yes it's bad lol)

XnolzO.png

Last edited:
Solution
Get a can of the compressed air with the little hose and blow from the vents on the outside, see if you don't get some dust out that way.
Other tips would be to set the laptop down on a hard surface or cooling pad while under heavy use.

Beyond that you might consider asking around of local repair shops as to what they would charge to do so. Running at throttling temps isn't particularly good for hardware and certainly isn't offering the performance it's made for.
May 30, 2021
It isn't uncommon for a laptop chassis to get heat soaked and show high temps under load.

Have you tried to clean out dust? Are you confident in opening to clean and reapply thermal paste?

i've heard that that's a good solution but i'm not confident enough to do anything of that sort. was actually thinking getting a fan and see if that could help out somehow.. i may also try to clean the outside a bit or, using a vacuum cleaner, try to remove the dust without having to get inside the laptop.

edit: the cpu temperature also fluctuates between 75-85C when not in load at all (only about 5% load)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Get a can of the compressed air with the little hose and blow from the vents on the outside, see if you don't get some dust out that way.
Other tips would be to set the laptop down on a hard surface or cooling pad while under heavy use.

Beyond that you might consider asking around of local repair shops as to what they would charge to do so. Running at throttling temps isn't particularly good for hardware and certainly isn't offering the performance it's made for.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution
May 30, 2021

Would a fan theoretically work to maybe cool down the temp a little bit

May 30, 2021
There are a good deal of "cooling pads" available for laptop that are actively and passively cooled. It might be worth trying one if you are noticing a lot of heat coming off the (bottom of) chassis.

I just cleaned the cooling fan, it should all be good now, if I still have issues though i'll tell you, alright?