[SOLVED] My cpu is overheating I feel like I have tried everything

Feb 21, 2019
i7 4790k
Gtx 1070
2x8 Corsair ram
Maximus iv (i believe I can’t look at at work at the moment)
I have reapplied the thermal paste and the heat sink is seated right I have reset my bios I have cleaned my computer out all my fans are running but when I play a game or run a stress test my computer will gradually rise over time I guess to blue screen I’ve underclocked it and it still eventually rises

Solution
You should not need to underclock to get your CPU not to overheat.
You already know that CPU temp is an issue - so lets fix it!

When temps continuously rise, it means the heatsink is not doing its job.
Normally, when under load, the CPU temp will rise, and then stay at a consistent temp; not just keep going up and up and up.

Invest in a better cooler for your CPU and make sure it is seated an installed properly.
Make sure your case has good airflow - maybe blow it out with a can of compressed air.
Maybe add an extra exhaust fan to the case? Better thermals all around.
Is your case on the floor? Does it have good airflow?
Feb 21, 2019
Well let me correct myself on that it was freezing my computer when I was running all stock settings but blue screened me when I underclocked it to see if that helped. sorry I just woke up but that’s what I was thinking could be wrong with the overheating I just didn’t know for sure and don’t really know what I should get

Most likely cooler has not been installed properly.
If you have removed Intel stock cooler previously, then push pins of the cooler need to be reset for reinstallation. If you don't do that, result is bad contact between cpu and the cooler.
But yes - a better cooler is still recommended. CM Hyper 212 evo for example.

resettingpushpins4.jpg

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

Feb 21, 2019
Okay I called my computer repair company and they said that it probably wouldn’t be that and they was the last ones to seat it and it has no wiggle at all so is there anything else it could be it’s mostly just when it’s under load they also tried to fix this problem by changing cpu settings in bios

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
You have the Maximus VI Hero. I do too.

I have a 4770k OC'd to 4.6 GHz@1.30V and I get around 70 degs at full load at an ambient of 20 C.

The fact that someone goes to work at a tech store, calls themselves a techie and gets to play with ppl's computers doesn't automatically make him good at the job, knowledgeable or professional.

I have had techies screw up my PC back in the day including the very thing you are experiencing, bad CPU-Cooler seating and too much TIM. My system only started working perfectly and error-free only after I took the time to build it up myself from scratch.

I would advise you to stop paying bad techies money and take time to reseat the cooler yourself and reapply TIM. Take a weekend off, watch some youtube tutorials and do the job yourself.

As to why your PC bluescreens when at stock, well the M6H mobo is very complicated and there might be some setting that you have tampered with that you forgot to reset and thus your CPU produces Stop 124 bluescreens due to insufficient voltage.

Another explanation is that your 4790k has simply degraded due to electromigration as a result of running over 1.30V Vcore at temps at or near 80 C for many years.

Note that as I have found out after 6 years owning this specific mobo (M6H) it automatically increases voltage under ADAPTIVE up to 0.06 V to what you have set in the BIOS. Thus for an OC with 1.30 Vcore set in the BIOS, you will get spikes up to 1.36V.

As HARDOCP noted in their M6H-4770K review:

"I WAS ABLE TO PUSH A 4770K TO 4.8 GHZ @ 1.35V. GIVEN THE CPU DEGRADATION WE HAVE SEEN THOUGH, IT SEEMS TO US THAT VCORE VOLTAGES THAT HIGH ARE NOT SOMETHING TO BE USED DAILY UNDER LARGE WORKLOADS IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE HEALTH OF YOUR HASWELL CPU".

If your CPU isn't stable at stock frequencies at stock voltages then it has degraded, and thus you need to increase VCORE for it to be stable. If it won't be stable then it's simply time to buy a new modern CPU/mobo.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
I have ordered anyone any for my own sanity because I believe it could be the problem as it’s one of the only things left I can think of everything else seems to run fine my house isn’t overheating or anything I have a picture of my open hardware monitor but I’m not sure why I can’t upload it from my phone

Feb 21, 2019
I was getting mid 80s stress test with my intel stock cooler and arctic silver thermal paste. Bought a hyper 212 evo for 20 bucks never above 60 and those only stress testing, never over 52-55 gaming.
i have one of them coming in tomorrow hopefully it works but starting to feel like its something more expensive

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
You should not need to underclock to get your CPU not to overheat.
You already know that CPU temp is an issue - so lets fix it!

When temps continuously rise, it means the heatsink is not doing its job.
Normally, when under load, the CPU temp will rise, and then stay at a consistent temp; not just keep going up and up and up.

Invest in a better cooler for your CPU and make sure it is seated an installed properly.
Make sure your case has good airflow - maybe blow it out with a can of compressed air.
Maybe add an extra exhaust fan to the case? Better thermals all around.
Is your case on the floor? Does it have good airflow?

Solution