Question My CPU is overheating (I think?) do I need a new cooler?

DeathXI

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Hello All,

I bought this computer from Xidax about 2 years ago, and about 4 months ago I started noticing overheating problems. When I play high-intensity games (Immortal: Fenyx Rising, Deathloop, etc.) the CPU temp skyrockets, averaging 90-95 degrees C, and redlining at 100 (does Core Temp stop at 100, because i've never seen it go over 100)

I applied new thermal paste on Saturday, and it did not improve anything, so now I'm wondering if either I messed up a setting, or if the cooler needs replaced. I don't know how to share my bios/fan config or whatever, but here's the Xidax order info:

PURE TG
INTEL CORE i9 10900k 10C/20T 5.3GHz
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI
XIDAX APPROVED 80PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY's: 1000W
Xidax Ultra 3200MHz 16GB: 32GB (16x2)
NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
XIDAX 550LC 120MM LIQUID COOLER
AUDIO/ONBOARD
WD BLUE SATA 3.5: 2 TB
Xidax Performance SSD 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus: 500 GB
WD Blue M.2: 250 GB
SW/WIN10HM/OA3
COOLER/550LC
MSI Z490 Gaming Pro Carbon
SEASONIC FOCUS PLUS 1000W GOLD
Blue Uni-Sleeved Cables
Standard CPU Thermal Paste
Standard GPU Thermal Paste

Is it the cooler, or can someone give me a quick once over for how to share the config to determine what fans/etc are on?

Thanks in advance for anybody who reads this, and double thanks for those who try to help!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A couple of things:

Take the machine down, drop panels, take it outside and blow the dust out of it. Pay particular attention to blowing out the radiator.

Look around in Task Manager after the machine has been on for 5-10 minutes and see if any high CPU usage is ongoing. You could have something running in the background causing the heating issue.

A 120 cooler isn't ideal for a 10900K. I may have missed it, but do you know what case this is mounted in? Without knowing more on that, you could try to drop the side or even front panel (according to config) and see if temps drop more.

100C is the throttle point for the CPU, so when it reaches that temp it is cutting speed/performance in order not to go beyond. Normal operation.

DeathXI

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
I blow it out fairly regularly, so that's not the issue. Good thing to mention though.

Pure TG is the name of hte case - it's a Xidax case, Tempered Glass on one side.

If it's the cooler, that's fine that's a fix I can do.

DeathXI

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
That assassin is pretty cheap, will it really work well? $35 seems awfully cheap for a fix.

Reviews seem to be good, and it says it's quiet. I guess I will give it a try. Looks like it should work with my setup according to PC part picker. Little nervous about removing a cooler and installing a new one though.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can't tell what directions the cooler's fans are facing, but for reference:
iu

What CAN be seen is that the case has:
Rear intake
Front intake

They should all want to go in one direction.

Reactions: letmepicyou

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I agree with what Phaaze88 said, it looks to me like your front and rear fans are both sucking in. You should flip the rear fan around so it draws air IN at the front and exhausts it OUT the back.

And man, having those 2 video cards on top of one another can't be good for your GPU thermals, either.

DeathXI

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
That would definitely be helpful, is there a way to tell when looking at the fan itself which way it's going to blow? I would prefer to blow all the hot air out the rear compartment, so that's what I'll be doing, but I don't want to have to keep unplugging and redoing it until I get it right.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
That would definitely be helpful, is there a way to tell when looking at the fan itself which way it's going to blow? I would prefer to blow all the hot air out the rear compartment, so that's what I'll be doing, but I don't want to have to keep unplugging and redoing it until I get it right.

Fans always pull in from the blade side and exhaust on the frame side.

DeathXI

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2014
Well, thanks everyone. Initial tests today (I completed the level in deathloop) shows the fan works now that everything is pointed the same way.

Original Cooler (and also new cooler with fans not properly aligned) Temperature was 85-100 degrees and I'd either shut it down or the computer would shut down the game before it fried everything.

New Assassin cooler with fans aligned: Highest I saw was 60 degrees. Completed the level and shut it down.

Hooray! Now I'm all set for hogwarts legacy!

Reactions: letmepicyou

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Well, thanks everyone. Initial tests today (I completed the level in deathloop) shows the fan works now that everything is pointed the same way.

Original Cooler (and also new cooler with fans not properly aligned) Temperature was 85-100 degrees and I'd either shut it down or the computer would shut down the game before it fried everything.

New Assassin cooler with fans aligned: Highest I saw was 60 degrees. Completed the level and shut it down.

Hooray! Now I'm all set for hogwarts legacy!
Proper airflow makes a huge difference.
Glad you got things worked out.
Don't forget to blow out the dust every 6 months.