[SOLVED] My CPU is overheating while idle.

Anurag111

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017
I recently reinstalled my CPU cooler for cleaning out the radiator and did NOT put in new thermal paste, this might be the reason but still, I am getting temps of about 85-100 degrees on light workload and my fans are ramping up. I have an H115i on an i7 7700 and I don't know if the pump is the problem or the thermal paste. I have been using the stock TIM which came with the H115i which I never replaced in my past 3 years of owning my PC. Is the thermal paste problem so bad to cause my CPU to go to 100 degrees, also my CPU isn't shutting down automatically like threads are saying on reaching 100 degrees.

Solution
I recently reinstalled my CPU cooler for cleaning out the radiator and did NOT put in new thermal paste, this might be the reason but still, I am getting temps of about 85-100 degrees on light workload and my fans are ramping up. I have an H115i on an i7 7700 and I don't know if the pump is the problem or the thermal paste. I have been using the stock TIM which came with the H115i which I never replaced in my past 3 years of owning my PC. Is the thermal paste problem so bad to cause my CPU to go to 100 degrees, also my CPU isn't shutting down automatically like threads are saying on reaching 100 degrees.

You 100% should change your thermal paste - when it gets old it often dries out, at which point it acts like a thermal...

You 100% should change your thermal paste - when it gets old it often dries out, at which point it acts like a thermal insulator rather than a conductor which can make temps really bad.

There could be an issue with the cooler as well but I would start by cleaning off the thermal paste and applying new.

Solution
You 100% should change your thermal paste - when it gets old it often dries out, at which point it acts like a thermal insulator rather than a conductor which can make temps really bad.

There could be an issue with the cooler as well but I would start by cleaning off the thermal paste and applying new.
Probs the paste, goes hard when it cures so when the cooler has been reapplied it won't have "squished" for lack of a better term between the CPU and plate to eliminate air gaps so instead of spreading out and filling gaps it's held firm and if anything holding the CPU and cooler further apart.

Anurag111

Reputable
Feb 20, 2017

Ok, thanks, I did order thermal paste immediately after finding the rise in temps as it was my first suspicion but I still have doubts about the pump. The Corsair software is telling me that it’s spinning at an RPM of 7000.