[SOLVED] My CPU is restarting by itself without even putting any load on GPU (Restarting even PC is sitting idle)

Relentless_roy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
My Computer Specs are as follows :

CPU: Intel i5-8400
Motherboard: MSI B360-M Pro VD
Ram: GSkill 8 GB 2133 MHz(1 stick)
SSD: 240 GB WD Green
HDD : 1 TB WD Cavier Blue
320 GB WD Cavier Blue (It is around 9-10 years old)
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB
PSU: Corsair VS 650 W
Cabinet : Corsair Spec 1 or 2 (I am not completely sure about this)
CPU fan : Cooler Master H410R
Cabinet Fans : 1 Pre-installed corsair 120mm fan and 4 other Deepcool 120 mm fans

My entire specs is mere 2 years old except one of the hard disk which is around 9-10 years old. My PC was working absolutely working fine for past 2 years. The restart problem starting to occurred from this past week and I am getting so frustrated.
My System shutdown on its own without showing any error message and boots up by itself. I am not totally sure about what could be the possible issue which is causing the restart.
A day before Yesterday, I removed my graphics card and kept my pc on straight for like 14-15 hours. It worked without any restart issue. Also, I ran Battlefield 4 without GPU installed just to check if restart problem has anything to do with CPU going 100%, But seems like it is not CPU overload or CPU heat up issue as my CPU keeps on 38-40 degrees on IDLE.

Yesterday, I re-installed the GPU, Ran Unigine Valley benchmark for like an hour to check if GPU is overheating and causing the restart but pc didn't crashed even for a single time. I ran the Unigine Valley again for half an hour, Again it worked without any issues. So I kept the system ON for like 8-9 hours and it ran without any restart issue, So I shut it down in the morning.

Then today again, I switched it ON with GPU installed and kept it running for 4-5 hours, It worked fine but then suddenly got restart twice within the span of 2-3 minutes. By the look of it, seems like the issue with the GPU which is causing the restart. Another possible issues which I can think of could be :
  1. PSU
  2. RAM
  3. Motherboard's PCIe slot or any other mobo issue

Could there be any other hardware which may cause this issue ? such as CPU cooling fan OR Cabinet fans OR my HDD/SSD. I am not sure how to get to the root cause of the thing which is causing this restart problem.
Can You guys please help me with this. So that I can start testing out this problem step by step.

Thank You

Solution
What model Zotac GTX 1060 ? One of those pre-overclocked AMP edition cards?

What I'd suspect is happening there -
you probably have hot weather in your area;​
efficiency of your PSU is redduced, when operating at increased temperatures;​
your pre-overclocked graphics card is trying to draw too much power;​
psu protections kick in and system reboots.​

Try reducing your GPU overclock or get a better PSU.

Relentless_roy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014
Its always nice to have a spare semi-modular psu and ram. that way you can minimize the list of issue..try to remove all your HDD.
Thanks for the response. I will try to remove hard disks one by one to see if those are causing the issue, but I doubt that HDDs are causing it. But as for a start up step, I would start by removing one of the HDD.

RAM and PSU are in warranty, and so does is the Mobo....So I can opt for a replacement but I am really worried about the warranty of GPU as Zotac support Team is saying that my GPU is out of warranty as the warranty starts from Distributor's Purchase date (which is quite frustrating thing).
I purchased it on 7/7/2018 and by the terms of Standard warranty of 2 years, I still have like 10 days to claim for the warranty but the support team is saying that Distributor's Invoice date is in December, 2017 therefore, 2 years period has been passed....The hell.

Do You have any idea if thats how zotac india warranty works ? It is pretty frustrated though because why the hell on earth I should be concerned about when did the distributor bought that product....smh

Thanks!

Solution

Relentless_roy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2014

Yes, It is AMP Edition.
And Yes, We have quite a hot weather here right now and on IDLE, GPU is like 40-41 degrees without Air conditioner is ON. With Air Conditioner is ON, IDLE GPU is at 34-36 Degrees. But I am wondering, We use to have the same weather conditions as they were in past 2 summer seasons. So I am not really agree with the fact of heating issues.

This is something has to do with the PSU efficiency or GPU but unfortunately, I don't have a spare PSU with me. :(

Last edited:

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Thanks for the response. I will try to remove hard disks one by one to see if those are causing the issue, but I doubt that HDDs are causing it. But as for a start up step, I would start by removing one of the HDD.

RAM and PSU are in warranty, and so does is the Mobo....So I can opt for a replacement but I am really worried about the warranty of GPU as Zotac support Team is saying that my GPU is out of warranty as the warranty starts from Distributor's Purchase date (which is quite frustrating thing).
I purchased it on 7/7/2018 and by the terms of Standard warranty of 2 years, I still have like 10 days to claim for the warranty but the support team is saying that Distributor's Invoice date is in December, 2017 therefore, 2 years period has been passed....The hell.

Do You have any idea if thats how zotac india warranty works ? It is pretty frustrated though because why the hell on earth I should be concerned about when did the distributor bought that product....smh

Thanks!

If you still have receipt of your gpu. then they have no counter do that.