[SOLVED] My CPU is running at 100% and my GPU is running at 25%, why?

Isaac Mol

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hello everyone,

So I've had my new Graphics Card for almost a year (since last Christmas), an MSI RTX 3070, and I have been kind of disappointed with its performance especially in games where my friends have worse PCs and are getting higher frames.

I started wondering why everything was underperforming so I opened task manager in game and found out that my CPU is running at 90-100% in games whereas my GPU is running only at 25-30%. I've heard that the RTX cards have been underperforming but I really am just unsure. Another thing I was thinking is maybe my liquid cooling is causing some problems because since I put that on I started noticing the issues however I also wasn't playing games like Cold War recently. Maybe my PC is bottlenecking or maybe Cold War just runs poorly but I really need an answer.

My first worry was that my PC was bottle necking but through the use of a bottleneck checker they say my PC is fine, specs below;
CPU - Intel i7 8700
GPU - MSI RTX 3070
Mother Board - MSI Pro Carbon
Ram - Corsair Pro Vengeance 3200mhz 16gb
HDD - Not too sure they're two older 2TB western digital
SSD - Samsung Evo 500gb
PSU - 550 Watt Thermaltake
NZXT - Kraken 240mm AIO

I have a feeling it could be my PSU and not having enough power available but everyone I've spoken to says it should be fine.

Thanks everyone!

Solution
Any idea on what i could use to malware scan

Try malwarebytes.

Did you check with taskmanager, if there are running some background tasks?

Your ram: 2x8 or 1x16 GB?

XMP on for ram? with cpuz you should see mem-speed of 1600.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Any idea on what i could use to malware scan

Try malwarebytes.

Solution

Isaac Mol

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019

Try malwarebytes.

I have checked task manager and one time all i had open was cold war, my ram is 2x8gb sticks but what was that XMP thing you were talking about?

Isaac Mol

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Would running your system with a 550w PSU as opposed to the recommended 650w power supply for your card have any bearing on your performance issues?
Would running your system with a 550w PSU as opposed to the recommended 650w power supply for your card have any bearing on your performance issues?
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I was thinking about saving up some money and upgading to a 750 watt psu