Question my cpu is running at 100 and overclocking when streaming games

Mar 11, 2019
This has only been happening as of recently and idk why. I drop frames in game and on stream. Ive tried lowering everything in game and i still cant get the game to run nicely on stream. pls help me ive tried sooo much.
Cpu; i5 7400
Gpu: geforce GTX 1060
power supply: 500w 80 plus

Mar 11, 2019
I dont have the exact model of the power supply sorry. I have a 120 gb ssd. also all of my temps are normal nothing is over heating in my cpu and gpu. I have a 16 gb DDR4 ram.

Sorry, that's just my system specs under my name.
i misread. Your CPU is not overclockable so a faulty oc isn't the issue.
500w 80+ should work fine since your not having psu symptoms.
100c on CPU will cause your CPU to slow down since that temperature is damaging to your CPU. What cooler do you have?

Reactions: Timmur
Mar 11, 2019
Ive noticed its not normal but its been fine streaming on for a while ive had it since august and nothing really bad happened until i tried streaming the division when it was in open beta. Then its just been a time since lol

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
100c on cpu is not normal
No not on any CPU ever... I wouldn't doubt that something else is a huge issue here, cooling-wise, etc. 100 Celsius is definitely overheating... 70 on a GPU is fine, but definitely not on a CPU even the FX's don't run that hot. Is this a pre-built system since you don't know what kind of PSU you are running?

I wouldn't doubt that you got hot pockets behind the motherboard or something. Or your cooler's heatsink is clogged up with dust, something is a miss in the area of cooling and if you got a small case then I would say get a bigger one with more exhaust fan slots to try and keep hot air from sticking around in your case. Remember your GPU's fans are intakes and push hot air around in the case and if you have a crappy stock CPU cooler it could be doing the same.

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Do you mean it is running at 100% load? That would be likely due to the fact that it is a 4 core with 4 threads and you are gaming AND streaming at the same time. That CPU is probably good for one or the other definitely not both at the same time.

If you got the money an i7 since they are multi-threaded would be a good option the CPU you mentioned above would be okay, but remember new games are getting good at utilizing the extra cores. So, you're going to be sacrificing performance on games or your stream, but most likely both... especially if you are trying to stream at 1080p.

Mar 11, 2019
ok will do. I just wanna say a big thank you to everyone who has helped me out tonight i love you all. I will be looking to get a i7 processor and futher upgrading my PC. <3

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Have you CPU-Z'd your system or checked BIOS? What is the make/model of your pre-built system?

Your CPU is one of those that can use DDR4 or DDR3... so that could be an issue when looking for a new CPU, as I am pretty sure there are only a handful of Intel CPU's that have this capability. It would be beneficial to find out what kind of motherboard is in there before even starting to look for a CPU to upgrade to.

Also, CPU in the i7 range is going to run you $320 plus brand new. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...36&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

And there is no telling what CPU's are actually compatible with your motherboard without actually knowing the model of it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If your CPU is running at 100C with a liquid cooler I would guess either the water block isn't mounted correctly or the cooler is malfunctioning in some way, e.g. pump has failed.

What are you using to measure temperature?

Edit:
Cpu; i5 7400
[...]
Whats the best Cpu i can get with a H310 chipset
You must have your specs mixed up, an H310 chipset doesn't support an i5 7400.

Last edited:

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
If your CPU is running at 100C with a liquid cooler I would guess either the water block isn't mounted correctly or the cooler is malfunctioning in some way, e.g. pump has failed.

What are you using to measure temperature?
He meant 100% load when streaming/gaming.

And yeah he is right an H310 does not support an i5-7400, lowest it goes is 8400.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/133348/intel-h310-chipset.html

So getting the manufacturer and model of your computer is key to figuring out what motherboard, etc. are actually in there before you can really start looking at CPU options. You don't want to start looking DDR4-only CPU's if the manufacturer installed a motherboard only able to run DDR3 and you don't want to buy a CPU that is not compatible with your chipset.

Reactions: TJ Hooker