My CPU is running on 100% when idle ( not the same problem as previuos threads here )

Apr 3, 2013
Hi there,
I have a major problem with my laptop. My CPU is running on 100% when nothing is open, not a program or a folder, nothing. This happens after I leave the laptop for a few minutes idle. When I move the mouse afterwards the CPU goes strait to 0% and there is no time to open task manager and see what process is doing this. If I leave the task manager open the CPU will run normally. I had this same problem on my desktop, a few mounts ago and I resolved it but formating the pc. But my laptop is fresh formatted and I don't know what to do.
Please help

My Specs
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.50GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K53E (CPU 1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
Hard Drives
466GB Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 (SATA)
Optical Drives
Slimtype DVD A DS8A8SH
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Solution
Hi :)

Its a VIRUS...it hides from task manager... its well known...

Run 2 scans...1 with Malwarebytes and 1 with Norton Internet Security 2013 trial version after updating BOTH several times...

All the best Brett :)
Apr 3, 2013

I did all kinds of virus scans... with AVG and Search and Destroy... and nothing.

Apr 3, 2013

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware solved my problem. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!

Dont forget to give him a best awnser! Also, are your temps better?

Persian Raver

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Hi I have the same problem for a while, I scan many times with malwarebytes anti-malware,but still problem exists.do you remember what exactly cause the problem? I mean the .exe file or registry key?

would be a lot of help.thx.

memzz

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014

IF this is happening with almost every system you purchase, then its clearly some sort of software that you've been downloading on them.

Ive had this problem. run your desktop/laptop in safe mode then disable every program your pc starts up with. then enable them one by one. everytime you enable one, monitor your cpu usage before enabling another. by doing this you should easily be able to spot what software is causing your processor to hit 100%

BenAround

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

BenAround

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I had the same problem, tried many things, superantispyware, malware bytes, safe mode and normal start, avast bootscan, normal scan to no avail. Finally I did a java update, java uninstall of obsolete levels, using the java.com site. I am not sure if it helped. But I then ran PCDecrapifer and removed some questionable programs. Then I ran WISE registry cleaner, Optimizer and then registry defrager. that worked.

My cpu usage, as shown on the Microsoft gadget is much more acceptable. the needle does not pin at 100% and hang up my browser.