Question My cpu is staying around 50 degrees celsius idle and won't overclock.

wmacpeek

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
My cpu is an i7 4790k and it is staying around 50 degrees when not overclocked and idling and no matter what i try to do it will not overclock without crashing because of heat whenever i try to boot to windows. I replaced my powersupply cause i believed that was the issue but it is still happening and im baffled. And i did re apply thermal paste aswell. If i try to put the normally 4GHz cpu to even 4.1GHz cpu reads around 87 - 100 degrees before crashing.
My specs:
cpu: i7-4790k
motherboard: Asus Z97-A
RAM: 32GB 2x gskill F3-12899CL10-8GBXL and 2x patriot memory cl10 Series
graphics card: gtx 1070ti
Cpu cooler: Corsair h100i v2

varunnecuta2

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
what if you decrease the speed of your processor , like 3 GHz .
I have seen the fx series , like the 9 series run already hotter cause there speed is greater .
Maybe the cpu manufactures tricks the users by just overclocking the processors and giving them different names.

wmacpeek

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
what if you decrease the speed of your processor , like 3 GHz .
I have seen the fx series , like the 9 series run already hotter cause there speed is greater .
Maybe the cpu manufactures tricks the users by just overclocking the processors and giving them different names.
I did try to do this and i got the same temps no change whatsoever.

wmacpeek

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
what are you doing to overclock?have you tried reapplying heatsink compound?when exactly did this temp problem start?
I was going through my motherboard and going off of guides of what to turn on and up like sync all cores and such and I have reapplied thermal paste.

wmacpeek

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
So i am a little dumb but i had the pump plugged into cpu_opt and not cpu fan it is now plugged into cpu fan. I have applied thermal paste yesterday for all the people asking the last time i did that.

wmacpeek

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
My thermal problems seem to be getting worse I have left my pc on for a 3-4 hours while i was doing some running around and it is now with a 15% load saying 70 degrees.