[SOLVED] my cpu is throttling, help

Jul 20, 2021
ok, like, i accidentally overheated my msi laptop to 100 degrees celsius while exporting a video on filmora and it shut off without warning, now its throttling like CRAZY but not lagging. HELP
here are my specs
ryzen 7 4800h apu
8gb ddr4 3200
radeon rx 5500m
msi bravo 15 a4ddr 051ca

please help me

Solution
the laptop should not reach 100 degrees even when doing heavy tasks like video rendering. You have a problem with the cooler. Likely, being an older laptop, the cooler and vents are filled with dust and need to be cleaned out from the inside. Also likely, considering how hot it became, is that the thermal pads connecting components to the cooler are dried out and should be replaced, as should the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

Thermal pads are available on ebay or amazon for a few bucks, the tools and small amount of isopropyl alcohol needed to open and clean a laptop would run to maybe $20 for a nice set of tools, but do not underestimate the painstaking, fiddly work of cleaning out the cooler and vents on a laptop. The first time...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
the laptop should not reach 100 degrees even when doing heavy tasks like video rendering. You have a problem with the cooler. Likely, being an older laptop, the cooler and vents are filled with dust and need to be cleaned out from the inside. Also likely, considering how hot it became, is that the thermal pads connecting components to the cooler are dried out and should be replaced, as should the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

Thermal pads are available on ebay or amazon for a few bucks, the tools and small amount of isopropyl alcohol needed to open and clean a laptop would run to maybe $20 for a nice set of tools, but do not underestimate the painstaking, fiddly work of cleaning out the cooler and vents on a laptop. The first time I did it, it took several hours and I had to keep all the different sized tiny screws arranged in the order I took them out.

There are a lot of Youtube videos on how to clean and repaste laptops, here's one for your specific laptop:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJVarO0QkU

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
but how do i stop the throttling? I don't know how to use ryzen controller
You definitely don't want to stop the throttling, even if you could. It's keeping the laptop from overheating. You need to address the cooling so that the throttling is less necessary.

Reading up on your specific laptop it's unfortunately quite a poor thermal design and the CPU is clocked much too high for the cooling solution. Even fresh out of the box its reported as running at 80C when maxed out.

One option is to limit CPU power to 60% in the MSI power management settings utility, but that's a pretty harsh compromise. It will help until you can get the thing cleaned and repasted though.

An air duster is great but also wipe everything down with isopropyl alcohol. You'll need some of that to get the old thermal paste off the CPU and GPU for sure.

Jul 20, 2021
You definitely don't want to stop the throttling, even if you could. It's keeping the laptop from overheating. You need to address the cooling so that the throttling is less necessary.

Reading up on your specific laptop it's unfortunately quite a poor thermal design and the CPU is clocked much too high for the cooling solution. Even fresh out of the box its reported as running at 80C when maxed out.

One option is to limit CPU power to 60% in the MSI power management settings utility, but that's a pretty harsh compromise. It will help until you can get the thing cleaned and repasted though.

An air duster is great but also wipe everything down with isopropyl alcohol. You'll need some of that to get the old thermal paste off the CPU and GPU for sure.
but my cpu is throttling even when at 40-50-60 celsius and other low temperatures. i need to make it so then it doesnt throttle like that. i tried ryen controller setting the limit to 95 celsius but nothing happens.