Question My CPU is under-performing badly, and I don't know what to do

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pirvuandrey12

Reputable
May 11, 2016
The prices on DDR4 2400 to 3200 modules are all nearly the same at around $37, so just pick the cheapest with the fastest speed and best timings. The worst that will happen is it won't work and you will have to send it back or buy a second one. The only other practical upgrade would be a GTX 1070/1660ti/RTX 2060 as they are 100-110% faster than your GTX 960. Upgrading your CPU is not even really an option, because used and new prices on an i7-6700 or 7700 are still more than a new Ryzen 7 2700 or new Ryzen 5 3600. You are probably better off just saving to build a whole new computer if you want to upgrade the CPU.
Thanks, I think you're right.
I'll see what to do

InvalidError

Titan
Though, I notice my CPU is mostly full in games. RAM goes around 80%-90%.. you guys sure RAM is the issue?
RAM cannot fix everything but it helps with smoothing things out.

If you frequently notice games skipping multiple frames while HDD/SSD activity is high due to swapping or asset reloading from storage, that's what extra memory should help the most with: mostly eliminate swapping and cache frequently used data so software does not need to wait for SSD/HDD.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS