[SOLVED] My cpu is underpreforming by a lot

sambrennan733

Commendable
Dec 26, 2017
I have had my Ryzen 1700 for about a year and now that I'm playing more demanding games I have noticed the fps is really low so I went to overclock my cpu and I realised the clock speed never goes beyond 1.5ghz. I have tried overclocking it from the bios but when I turn the pc back on it still hasn't changed. I have also tried using ryzen master but it never applies. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Solution
gpu-Rtx 2060
ram-corsair vengeance ddr4 ram 2400mhz (It is a single stick but i plan to upgrade later this year)
motherboard- Asus prime b350 plus
psu-Corsair VS450 450w

And no I didn't fresh os install.
Did you set Cool-n-Quiet off? That's exactly the same problem I had when overclocking my 1700; with CnQ enabled it would throttle to 1500 all the time.

Also, 450W seems a bit low for an rtx2060 and a 1700 when you're overclocking it. But that wouldn't make it run at 1500 but it will be more likely to crash in the middle of a game when power delivery gets to unsteady.
I have had my Ryzen 1700 for about a year and now that I'm playing more demanding games I have noticed the fps is really low so I went to overclock my cpu and I realised the clock speed never goes beyond 1.5ghz. I have tried overclocking it from the bios but when I turn the pc back on it still hasn't changed. I have also tried using ryzen master but it never applies. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
On my motherboard with the 1700 installed I have to set AMD CoolnQuiet to disabled when I overclock or it does that.

sambrennan733

Commendable
Dec 26, 2017
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

did you fresh os install for this build?
gpu-Rtx 2060
ram-corsair vengeance ddr4 ram 2400mhz (It is a single stick but i plan to upgrade later this year)
psu-Corsair VS450 450w

gpu-Rtx 2060
psu-Corsair VS450 450w

Did you set Cool-n-Quiet off? That's exactly the same problem I had when overclocking my 1700; with CnQ enabled it would throttle to 1500 all the time.

Also, 450W seems a bit low for an rtx2060 and a 1700 when you're overclocking it. But that wouldn't make it run at 1500 but it will be more likely to crash in the middle of a game when power delivery gets to unsteady.

Solution
I can't find that setting in my bios so I dont think that's it.
what motherboard do you have?

NVM..just found it. Asus Prime b350 plus...

It's got to be there. Look in both the Advanced section and the AI Tweaker section. Probably a sub-menu under something like CPU Features.

Otherwise...Asus sells garbage products with horrible BIOS' that are unsuitable for the purpose.

Last edited:

sambrennan733

Commendable
Dec 26, 2017

I reset the bios there now and it seems to now be running at 3.2ghz