My CPU refuses to utilise more than 75% (2.8ghz) and i can't figure out why

Apr 4, 2018
I trust there are knights in shining armour with the expertise I'm lacking that would be able to tell me where I am going wrong. I'm very grateful to anyone who takes the time to read through this and I would really appreciate any advice at all.

So, I played with my BIOS settings for 2 days, and could not find a combination that would consistently keep all four CPU cores at 100% while under stress tests. I tried overclocking with and without turbo boost. I played with LLC, Cool&Quiet, C6, APM. I tried hundreds of combinations and ran tests. I made slight changes to Vcore, though never exceeding 1.440v, and kept my CPU clock at 3.8ghz. I don't think the power throttling is not due to heat, as my CPU never exceeds 45C.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD A8 7670k 3.6ghz (up to 3.9ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212x
GPU: Radeon RX 470
RAM: 2 x 8gb Crucial 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair CS850M 850W 80+ Gold

My BIOS setup:
CPU Clock Control: 100.00mhz
Processor Graphics Clock: 757mhz - Default
CPU NB Frequency: 1800mhz - Default
CPU Clock Ratio: 38
CPU Frequency: 3.8ghz

Turbo Perfomance Boost: Disabled
AMD Cool&Quiet: Disabled
cTDP function: Disabled - Default
SVM Mode: Enabled - Default
C6 Mode: Disabled
APM: Disabled

CPU Vcore: +0.096
NB Core: Normal - Default was Auto
DRAM Voltage: Normal - Default was Auto
Vcore LLC: Medium
NBVID LLC: Medium

Using Prime95 for stress test, HWMonitor to watch Vcore, AMD Overdrive to monitor temps and Resource Monitor to watch CPU frequency. I've identified 2 scenarios through testing:

1. My BIOS Setup with Cool&Quiet Enabled
For 30 seconds CPU runs at 3.8ghz --> All four cores at 99-100% usage and Vcore at 1.404
CPU begins to throttle, all cores fluctuate simultaneously between 65% and 78% (approx. 2.8ghz) Vcore drops to 1.368v or less

2. My BIOS Setup + Cool&Quiet Disabled
CPU consistently runs at 75% capacity, frequency and Vcore does not fluctuate (2.8ghz and 1.404v)
CPU cores 0 and 1 display 100% usage while CPU cores 2 and 3 display 50% usage

Summary:
Both scenarios yield only 75% CPU usage (2.8ghz) or less while under a stress test. Regardless of settings, I cannot attain a consistent 100% CPU usage on all four cores.

I don't mind if I need to give up on overclocking but I just want my CPU to run at 100% capacity. There are certain games I should be running at Very High settings but can only run at Medium-Low settings due to this throttling.

Again, thank you to anyone who read through this, any help is appreciated! Alex.

urbancamper

Distinguished
In the bios put AVX on auto if it isn't already. During stress testing use prime95version26.6 small fft testing only. If your also testing AVX it will lower your clock speed.