Question My CPU suddenly started overheating on idle

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Hello, i have been using my Intel i5 4570 with Seidon 120v liquid cooler for a while (around 6 years) without a problem. I had around 40c on idle while 60c on load begore all of a sudden things go other way. I usually control my cpu temperature over CPUID, i have realised that cpu fans are going crazy suddenly and saw a temperature abıvr 90c on CPUId ehile both task manager and CPUID where showing below %5 CPU utilization.

I have also tried going to BIOS but the temperature of my cpu was again going crazy above 90c. I couldn’t think of anythink which makes sense that would make my CPU start overheating. But still, tried cleaning up the fans and replacing the termal paste which didn’t makr any difference.

I am in need of help. Anyone who had a similiar problem or anyone who has an idea of why it happened and how can i fix it?

Windows 10
i5 4570
16gb 1600mhz ram (4x4)
Zotac Gtx 960
Seidon 120v cooler

sunkist4life

Prominent
Dec 27, 2018
it is likely that there is a problem with the water cooler pump, maybe it is running at low speed or maybe it died. when you turn on your PC, do you hear the noise of the water cooler pump?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
it is likely that there is a problem with the water cooler pump, maybe it is running at low speed or maybe it died. when you turn on your PC, do you hear the noise of the water cooler pump?

Is there an actual way to learn if the pumps are running at low? They are set correctly on the BIOS which of course wouldn't lead to a sudden problem i assume. Yes, i do hear the noise of the water cooler pump when i turn on my pc for sure. But again suddenly, an half an hour ago, i tried touching the pumps a bit and after a few minutes very suddenly cpu temps went back to 40's from 90's in 10 seconds. I really have no idea whats going on. That might sound stupid but is it possible that the water somehow stucks inside the pump and my touch actually fixed the problem temporarily or something like that?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Same thing happened again just in 20 days after it first time occured. A power cycle fixed the stiuation again. Reseting or shutting down and starting the PC is not working. I have unplugged the power cable, turned the psu to off position, after waiting a few minutes rebooted the pc and voila. I don't know how to explain this or why is power cycling fixes that problem but... So far, it works.