My CPU temps are worrying me ...

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hey guys, I would like to ask:

My motherboard and CPU are Gigabyte b75m-d3v & i5-3470 Ivy Bridge @ 3.2Ghz but it's running around 3.6GHz (according to BIOS). The temperatures at idle are 45C and went up to 65C when gaming. I'm running on a Xigmatek Praeton LD963 Low profile CPU cooler.

Thing is, the temperatures are worrying me especially when I'm gaming. Is it fine or should I get a new cooler ?

Sorry for my bad english if it's hard to understand..

Solution

diabolic123,

There's nothing to worry about ... your Core temperatures are fine.

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Guys,

Tcase is CPU temperature, NOT Core temperature. There's a difference.

Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature. Here's why:

Tcase is measured on the surface of the Integrated...

Bobbythedoggy

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
65C is actually good under load but if you are really nervous(which you shouldn't be),you can get a new cooler like the noctua nh-d15 which tbh,is actually unnecessary when you have those temps.

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Yes, cleaned it yesterday when I was putting in my new GPU (GTX960) . my case is Antec One, I'm running on 2x Corsair AF120 Red LED exhaust fans & 1 Noctua NF-S12A FLX on my side panel as intake.

I have a pic on how my cable management is : MY CASE

oh yea, and that 65C, I was only gaming for about 30mins...

Pyre

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I wanna say 65C under load is pretty normal majority of CPUs go over 60 during load there isnt really any need to panick unless over 75 degrees. You can re apply paste like bifutake said but 65 degrees is not overwhelming for the CPU.
By the way Bobbythedoggy was correct, not really a need of getting new cooler unless that fan noise iritates you, idk what intel says but as far as im concerned intel cpus fine around your temps, again over 75 is the time worry, not 65C

Amd says the same thing and yet their CPU can still be doing fine over 70 degrees, if amd does why not intel, after all intel is top notch in the eyes of most people just saying(Im an AMD user not intel, no fan boy being intiated)

CompuTronix

Intel Master

diabolic123,

There's nothing to worry about ... your Core temperatures are fine.

Here's the normal operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot (100% Load)
75C Warm
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Guys,

Tcase is CPU temperature, NOT Core temperature. There's a difference.

Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature. Here's why:

Tcase is measured on the surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), which is not in close proximity to the heat sources. Core temperature is measured at the transistor junctions directly on the hot spots inside the Cores, which are the heat sources.

Most of the heat dissipates from the Cores inside the Die through the internal layer of Thermal Interface Material (TIM) to the IHS. Heat then dissipates through the external layer of TIM to the cooler. Some heat also dissipates from the Die to the substrate, package, socket and motherboard.

At 100% workload this causes a 5C thermal gradient from the transistor junctions where Core temperatures are measured, to the surface of the IHS where CPU temperature (Tcase) is measured. A good analogy is that it gets hotter as you get closer to the flame.

Although Tcase for the i5 3470 is 67C, you always need to add 5C to any processor's Tcase specification to get the corresponding Core temperature. Tcase + 5 makes the Core temperature 72C.

The relationship between Core temperature and CPU temperature is not in the Thermal Specifications; it's only found in a few engineering documents. In order to get a clear perspective of processor temperatures, it's important to understand the terminology and specifications.

Please read this Tom’s Sticky to get yourselves up to speed on this topic:

Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution