[SOLVED] My CPU temps look quite abnormal

Jul 2, 2021
tldr: very high cpu temps on idle

Recently, around 1 week ago, I heard like this crackling sound coming from my pc every time I turn it on, some times it lasts for a second, other times it lasts for a few seconds then goes away. It seems to be coming from my AIO radiator [NZXT KRAKEN M22 120mm]. And now after I turn on the pc, my CPU temps on idle with nothing open seem to be hitting high 70s going into the 80s in some cases, and this is with nothing major running in the background, no games, nothing that etc, it keeps rapidly changing.
[My power plan is on balanced every time my pc starts]

I checked the temps using msi dragon centre and the bios and they give same results so I don't think it is a hardware monitor issue.

Things I have tried to make the temps lower:

-Cleaned the radiator out
- Re-seated the AIO, and replaced the thermal paste.

But the problem still occurs, I am not sure if its my CPU itself or the AIO cause when I touch the tubing I can feel it running normally, the pump is running normally, radiator fan running normally.
-The cooler is 100% flat on the CPU with good contact

CPU Core voltage changes from 1.0 - 1.35V
CPU NB/Soc voltage is 1.09V

Should I buy a new AIO, or maybe try reseat the CPU?

View: https://imgur.com/a/BRlv6us
- powerplan
View: https://imgur.com/ZdT8tX1
- cpu temps core temp readings

Solution
They are both warm, I don't think its leaking, I don't see anything wet anywhere.
There could be air bubbles in the lines. When they pass through the pump it makes a crackling kind of sound. It's often very difficult to pinpoint the location of a high pitched sound's origination so it may sound like it's coming from the radiator although it's actually the pump.

The air could be because liquid level is low. That doesn't need a leak as it permeates through the rubber tubing, although it takes a while. But if your radiator is mounted below the pump then the air bubbles that are normal in the system can rise up into the pump.
Jul 2, 2021
There is nothing on the radiator that would make a crackling noise, unless it is leaking water on to the hardware or motherboard. Feel the tube going in to the radiator and the tube coming out. Is one cool and the other warm, or both warm or both cool?

They are both warm, I don't think its leaking, I don't see anything wet anywhere.

There could be air bubbles in the lines. When they pass through the pump it makes a crackling kind of sound. It's often very difficult to pinpoint the location of a high pitched sound's origination so it may sound like it's coming from the radiator although it's actually the pump.

The air could be because liquid level is low. That doesn't need a leak as it permeates through the rubber tubing, although it takes a while. But if your radiator is mounted below the pump then the air bubbles that are normal in the system can rise up into the pump.

Reactions: 4nt0nyyy
Solution
Jul 2, 2021

My radiator is mounted at the top of my case near the back as exhaust, I dont know if it would be dangerous for me to continue using it, could it damage my other components, should I buy a new cooler and not use my pc till then to avoid the risk of it leaking maybe?

My radiator is mounted at the top of my case near the back as exhaust, I dont know if it would be dangerous for me to continue using it, could it damage my other components, should I buy a new cooler and not use my pc till then to avoid the risk of it leaking maybe?

If it's not leaking...and by leaking I mean drips of liquid on the tubing or around the joints...I don't think there's any danger. The only thing you should watch for is something rubbing on tubing or a badly pinched section. If none of that, then nothing to worry about from that point.

But if it's making noises then it's likely there is more air than intended. If you know what you're about, and there is a refill port on it, you could try topping it up. But if it's relatively new you could also try contacting Kraken as they're the premium brand so you should get your money's worth.

How old is it? Age is everything: like I said, it's normal for AIO's to lose liquid through the tubing walls from permeation. Life expectancy is about 5 years before needing a refill or replacement.

Jul 2, 2021
If it's not leaking...and by leaking I mean drips of liquid on the tubing or around the joints...I don't think there's any danger. The only thing you should watch for is something rubbing on tubing or a badly pinched section. If none of that, then nothing to worry about from that point.

But if it's making noises then it's likely there is more air than intended. If you know what you're about, and there is a refill port on it, you could try topping it up. But if it's relatively new you could also try contacting Kraken as they're the premium brand so you should get your money's worth.

How old is it? Age is everything: like I said, it's normal for AIO's to lose liquid through the tubing walls from permeation. Life expectancy is about 5 years before needing a refill or replacement.
I have had the AIO for around 7 months but I fully built my pc 6 months ago.

I have had the AIO for around 7 months but I fully built my pc 6 months ago.
That's way to new to be low on liquid. It may just be bubbles trapped in the pump although it's really strange since the radiator is mounted on top. One thing to try is tilting and shaking your system a bit to try and shake bubbles loose if that's what it is. Also tapping on the pump housing and hoses firmly with your finger.

Silly me....I just now read up on what the Kraken M22 is....it's one of the AIO's with the pump in the radiator! It appears you may have found it's Achilles' heel: with the radiator mounted on top, the pump is too. That means air bubbles are bound to accumulate in the pump and that's almost doubtless what you are hearing. The crackling is from air bubbles in the pump, which is in the radiator. Normally, there's no problem with this beyond the crackling that's annoying you. The only way to stop it would be mounting the radiator vertically, preferably with the hose barbs down so the bubbles accumulate in the tank at the other end.

BUT you're also noting that temps are higher than previously, so something's changed. So that noise could also be something's wrong with the pump, in which case it might be a good idea to contact Nzxt about what's wrong. I have to think they warrant their products more than 7 months.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021
That's way to new to be low on liquid. It may just be bubbles trapped in the pump although it's really strange since the radiator is mounted on top. One thing to try is tilting and shaking your system a bit to try and shake bubbles loose if that's what it is. Also tapping on the pump housing and hoses firmly with your finger.

Silly me....I just now read up on what the Kraken M22 is....it's one of the AIO's with the pump in the radiator! It appears you may have found it's Achilles' heel: with the radiator mounted on top, the pump is too. That means air bubbles are bound to accumulate in the pump and that's almost doubtless what you are hearing. The crackling is from air bubbles in the pump, which is in the radiator. Normally, there's no problem with this beyond the crackling that's annoying you. The only way to stop it would be mounting the radiator vertically, preferably with the hose barbs down so the bubbles accumulate in the tank at the other end.

BUT you're also noting that temps are higher than previously, so something's changed. So that noise could also be something's wrong with the pump, in which case it might be a good idea to contact Nzxt about what's wrong. I have to think they warrant their products more than 7 months.
Oh, I didnt know that aha, thank you for that information though! I don't really plan on getting another one of these, one of my friends suggested me the Coolermaster ML240L aio so I will probably get that to replace this. But thank you again, your information was very helpful indeed :)

Reactions: drea.drechsler
... Coolermaster ML240L aio so I will probably get that to replace this...
I have one of those (not the 'L' version, so no RGB lit fans and simple white LED on the pump logo) and it's proven very competent cooling my 3700X. I've had it for about four years now, no real problems aside from the occasional bubble getting to the pump, which leads to cracking noises. But that's a result of the case design that forced me to mount it below the water block without stretching the hoses. I recently got a new B550m motherboard which repositioned the CPU socket allowing me to flip the radiator over, putting the barbs on bottom. So bubbles can now accumulate in the upper tank and all crackling noises have stopped.

It also has a refill port on one of the tanks so you can top up the liquid.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021
One tube on the AIO should be slightly cooler to the touch than the other...if they both feel the same temp then the pump is failing.
Yes, I think the pump is failing, but I also think it could be my cpu voltages, because my ryzen 5 3600 on idle jumps up and down from 1v - 1.45v alot even though theres nothing running in the background other than 1 chrome tab

Yes, I think the pump is failing, but I also think it could be my cpu voltages, because my ryzen 5 3600 on idle jumps up and down from 1v - 1.45v alot even though theres nothing running in the background other than 1 chrome tab

That's normal operation for Ryzen processors when handling light workloads or idling which really means Windows is running tasks in the back ground. 1.45v is not uncommon for a 3600 with PBO turned on since the processor is constantly balancing volts, clock speed, and temp to optimize performance. My 3600 would on occasion go above 1.5v for brief moments under single thread or dual thread light workloads. What you'll find though is when under an all core load the voltage will rarely hit any higher than 1.25v or so. Again this is perfectly normal for a 3600 running PBO.

Jul 2, 2021
That's normal operation for Ryzen processors when handling light workloads or idling which really means Windows is running tasks in the back ground. 1.45v is not uncommon for a 3600 with PBO turned on since the processor is constantly balancing volts, clock speed, and temp to optimize performance. My 3600 would on occasion go above 1.5v for brief moments under single thread or dual thread light workloads. What you'll find though is when under an all core load the voltage will rarely hit any higher than 1.25v or so. Again this is perfectly normal for a 3600 running PBO.
Oh okay, didnt know that, but now I do thank you for the heads up!

Jul 19, 2021
as a generalization that might help you identify a serious problem, if you have an Intel processor, you could say that a CPU core temperature of over 40-45-degrees Celsius while idling and/or a temperature of over 80-85-degrees Celsius while under full load is probably a cause for concern.

peryourhealth

Last edited: