My cpu usage idles at around 50%

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018
My computer idles at around 50% and I feel like it is really slowing me down.
My processor is an intel celeron j1800
All I do is browse the web and I don't game much except for really old rts games like stronghold and I also play murder miner from time to time.
I figured the slowness of my computer was due to the processor, but I checked task manager for the first time and my cpu usage averaged around 50% and like 95% of that was taken up by a process called Service Host: Local System
I wanted to ask if it is safe to "end task" and if that will resolve the extraordinary amount of cpu usage when I'm not even doing anything.

Solution
I hate to be the guy that breaks it to you, but your CPU is pretty old in computer years and it doesn't surprise me at all that just running windows makes your computer idle around 50%. Every year windows requires more and more CPU power to be able to run efficiently.

Windows updates and other windows services will spike CPU usage quite a lot, and you may not even see it 'doing its thing' in the background.

The intel celeron j1800 was manufactured in 2013 which makes it 6 years old now. The old "human to dog years" thing is also used for computers as an IT joke, we usually say every computer year is equivalent to 19 human years. So based on that your poor little beast is looking at being 114 years old :D

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
I hate to be the guy that breaks it to you, but your CPU is pretty old in computer years and it doesn't surprise me at all that just running windows makes your computer idle around 50%. Every year windows requires more and more CPU power to be able to run efficiently.

Windows updates and other windows services will spike CPU usage quite a lot, and you may not even see it 'doing its thing' in the background.

The intel celeron j1800 was manufactured in 2013 which makes it 6 years old now. The old "human to dog years" thing is also used for computers as an IT joke, we usually say every computer year is equivalent to 19 human years. So based on that your poor little beast is looking at being 114 years old :D

Solution

jm-april20

Commendable
Sep 27, 2018

How much cpu usage is normal to idle at for current gen prrocessors?

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

I'm not entirely sure about current gen processors, mine is a couple years old myself however i have google chrome, mozilla firefox both open with multiple windows, steam, discord, and a few other applications open as well and I'm sitting around 14% usage.