My CPU usage is 100% on almost anything

Pawlike1988

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
First off I want to say hi to everyone and thank everyone for even looking at this problem I been having. Couple of days ago I've cleaned up my CPU and applied new thermal heat-sink paste I think after doing that my CPU have been behaving very strange. When running programs like VLC, iTunes and Adobe the CPU usage goes upto 30%. Windows defender itself when I run full scan on my PC usage goes over 50%. Maybe I need to reapply the thermal paste, the fun is back on its place properly I have no idea what is the problem. Does over-clocking CPU have anything to do with it(not done correctly)?. Can it be the fans not cooling CPU properly since I have Intel fun on my CPU. Please help me out
These are my PC spec:
Asus P8Z77-V LX2 - Motherboard
Intel core i5 3570k 3.4ghz - Processor (OCed to 4)
Gainward gtx 980 phantom - GPU
Patriot viper 3 2x8gb 1600MHz - RAM
Patriot Viper 3 8gb 2133MHz - RAM
Evga supernova 850 g2 - PSU
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB main drive
Hitachi HHD 1TB - additional drive
SeaGate 500GB - additional drive

Solution
I use Avast for antivirus. its free. also, should download malwarebytes to check for malware while youre at it.

Also download CoreTemp to make sure your CPU isnt crazy hot. Might be a good idea to stop overclocking your cpu to see if that for some reason has something to do with it.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
CPU usage has nothing to do with the heatsink or thermal paste. a CPU that is running hot do not cause high CPU usage... its actually the reverse of that. Now that said, if you applied too much thermal paste and it has oozed out onto the circuitry on the motherboard, it may be shorting a connections. Although if that were the case, you likely wouldnt be able to boot at all.

My suggestion is to go to task manager, processes, show all, and arrange by CPU. Check to see if there is a specific program that is causing the high CPU usage. Run a virus/malware scan as well. Its normal for your CPU usage to go up when running windows defender and such because they are processor intensive programs. Just as long as your cpu usage is low when you have nothing running, such as a fresh reboot. It could also be that you have a number of programs running in the background.

rgd1101

Don't

In a way it does, if it overheating, the cpu would downclock itself which make everything run slow and higher usage to do the same job.

Pawlike1988

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Hi snurp85, I think you might be right with something dodgy on my pc. I dont actually have an antivirus you have to pay for (kaspersky, Norton or Bitdefender ect) all i am using is Windows defender. Any suggestions what to get, free or paid for antivirus!?

Pawlike1988

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
I also forgot to mention that when I run Call of Duty III the CPU usage doesnt go down lower than 90% and the game lags which makes it unplayable. Ive got a photo but i dont know how to put it in a comment

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I use Avast for antivirus. its free. also, should download malwarebytes to check for malware while youre at it.

Also download CoreTemp to make sure your CPU isnt crazy hot. Might be a good idea to stop overclocking your cpu to see if that for some reason has something to do with it.

Solution