My CPU Usage is ridiculously high(65%-90%), even when i'm not running any applications or programs! Someone Help me, please!

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Why Are My CPU's so high(as i type this, my CPU's are currently 81%), even when i'm not running any applications or programs? Can fonts that you download cause this?

I didnt have this problem till three days ago after i downloaded some fonts, and some plug-ins for paint.net. Some of the fonts were so ..well i don't know what you call it, but every time i tried to view some of them in the font viewer, it would make my cpu usage sky rocket right up to 89%-100%. wth.

Right now, i am going to try to disable and maybe even remove those fonts i downloaded and installed to see if that helps. If that doesn't help, then i will do a system restore my system...hopefully that helps. But i would still like to know some other reasons why this might be happening.

I have already done virus scans with malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I didn't have any viruses or malware turn up on those scans, but norton did a scan on it's on, and started removing and quarantined a lot of the plugins i had downloaded that same day i downloaded the fonts.:(

I have added some screenshots down below to show what i am talking about.

I took these two screenshots on the 7-14-2014
693j94.jpg

2dbsztv.jpg

And i took these last four screenshots on 7-13-2014
2uek2ti.jpg

2uigpyo.jpg

28l47py.jpg

2960wut.jpg

Norton Support

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. Can you please start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and then run a scan using the free Norton Power Eraser tool: http://www.Norton.com/npe?

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello, thank you for replying, Wallaby. :) I don't know if a virus is the problem actually. It could be the fonts i downloaded or maybe the plugins. i'm not sure. Can fonts or plugins for programs like paint.net cause a cpu to run that high? :-?

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello, thank you for replying, Vineeth. I don't know if a virus is the problem actually. It could be the fonts i downloaded or maybe the plugins. I'm not sure.

Norton Support

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Thank you! Did you run a scan using the Power Eraser tool? Let us rule out the possibility of a threat first.

Vineeth
Norton Support

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello, Vineeth. I ran the npe scan. The only thing it came up with is a wscui.cpl file.
This is what the npe said after i clicked on click here for more info or whatever it said: "Norton Power Eraser has detected some files which cannot be repaired automatically

Norton Power Eraser has detected some infected Windows files which cannot be repaired automatically. You need to replace these files from the Windows installation CD.
"

So is the wscui.cpl file the reason my cpu's are so high, even though the details said it was found on the 7-13-2014, and my cpu's started going haywire on 7-10-2014? (◐.̃◐)

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello again, wallaby. :-D
I downloaded and did a scan using hitman. It mainly only turned up tracking cookies and a few pups and extensions. None of those were the cause of my cpu's being so high though. After i deleted those, my cpu's remained as high as they were before i did the hitman scan. So a virus isn't the problem. So sicnce you are a cpu expert, can you give my some possible reasons this might be happening based off what i have described so far.

Oh yeah. I also did a scan with norton's npe scanner, and it turned up a wscui.cpl file. It said it needs repairing, and it couldn't repair it automatically. Now i just got through doing a diagnostic report.

Here is a screenshot of it. (ô‿ô)
n3ulat.jpg
So, what do you make of all this? (◐.̃◐) I could also email you the full diagnostic report, so that you can also see what the diagnostic report is saying in detail.

What you downloaded can have hidden malware within. Trojans can hide in other programs or downloads. Just run Hitman Pro as it is the most affective malware detector I have ever used (I know it is a secondary anti virus like malwarbytes, but it generally catches more than many anti viruses I have ever dealt with).

Norton Support

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
[
Hello, Vineeth. I ran the npe scan. The only thing it came up with is a wscui.cpl file.
This is what the npe said after i clicked on click here for more info or whatever it said: "Norton Power Eraser has detected some files which cannot be repaired automatically

Norton Power Eraser has detected some infected Windows files which cannot be repaired automatically. You need to replace these files from the Windows installation CD.
"

So is the wscui.cpl file the reason my cpu's are so high, even though the details said it was found on the 7-13-2014, and my cpu's started going haywire on 7-10-2014? (◐.̃◐)
[/quotemsg]

Thank you! That doesn't seem to be a virus. You can ignore it.

The next time when the problem happens, can you open Task Manager and see which process is consuming a lot of memory and CPU?

Vineeth
Norton Support

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Vineeth, i look at the task manager all the time. It's always the cpu's are always running high even when i no program or application is running. I have even put up screenshots of them. Have you looked at them? They are all of those pictures that i have posted right before you go down the page to read the replies from me. So, i still need help trying to figure out why my cpu's are so dang high. Do you have any other suggestions? (¬_¬)

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello again. :-D I ran hitman pro...again. It mainly only found a lot of tracking cookies and pups. No malware or serious threats. I ran both norton and malwarebytes scans, and no virus or malware turned up. I even downloaded avast, and i just got through running a scan on it... still no virus or malware. So, since it's not anything like a virus, now what do you think the problem is? (◐.̃◐)
I've been looking on the internet for answers, so far, most of what i read is that it might be a system issue.

Did you see the screenshot of my diagnostic report that i posted? What do you make of it?

Oh yeah, after i downloaded and installed avast, my CPU's have went significantly down. they were averaging 70-80%. Now, they are averaging 1-20%(they still spike up to 70%+ for a few secs when i start new applications or open programs), it goes no higher than 32%. I don't know what avast did just by me downloading and installing, but it did something.
I'm still not completely happy though. :-( You see, i currently have only one tab open, and am only on this site, and although my cpu's are down, way down, my physical memory is averaging 48-60%(so my computer is kind of sluggish right now). I also have 60 processes running(i don't know why there are so many running).

So,what do you make of all of what i just told you? Why(◐.̃◐)

Godto

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
do you have anything else plug in to your computer ?? USB ..ect ... unplug everything except your mouse and key board.

the next thing i can think of is maybe your ram might go bad ... try to use only 1 ram and see ... you don't have to have both ram for your com to turn on. test it out.

good luck

give us a spec on your comp. that also might help to see

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello. :) No, i don't have anything plugged into my computer. I'm on a laptop. I have 2,00gb of ram, i don't know how to turn them or one of them off.:-/

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Nope, not under warranty. My laptop is like 4 years old. Lol. :-D It only has 2gb of ram and a dual core processor. (ô‿ô)

Dan1982

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Sounds like you got a little nasty surprise when downloading those fonts (was it from a unofficial 3rd party website ?, bastards, only good people download fonts)

First of all go and check your Temporary files in windows explorer and backdate to when you downloaded the fonts that day. Try and see if you can find a folder that matches the date of the download and see if the are any weird .exe and data files that you do not recognise. If you know what you are doing, then Shift + delete it immediately, if not, use a virus scanner / malware scanner or simply drop it in the recycle bin to be evaluated.

Also, uninstall any programs under Control Panel / Programs and Features that you do not need or do not recognize (dont delete essentials windows software)

Do a windows update, especially the Security update files, they will help a lot.

Whenever your computer first boots, that when the bastards software boots with it, so the best way to make sure you beat the bastard at his game it to stop it from starting when windows does.
It would take me a whole page to explain it to you, so I suggest reading up on it or going to Youtube and watching a How to Guide on Controlling Windows Startup Programs and Services.

As they say in the good ol days, the best way to get your computer back, is to service it, which means placing all data and program installables that you want to keep and put it on a USB drive, and to a full clean install of windows and software you use most, immediately download windows updates for it, then start from scratch. Will only take 2 hours and your PC will run like brand new again.

(If you really feel courageous, take a look inside of it a remove dust from fans, boards and vents too, that also slows a PC down by at least 50% after a few years (like a car needing an oil change it makes a massive difference in performance)

Just Wannaknow

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Hello Dan. :-D Thank you for replying. I did a lot of scans, so far, no virus has turned up. Just a lot of cookies and a few pups here and there. Lol. I also did a sytem restore that didn't help, so i went and did a re-installation of windows. So far, it seems to have taken care of the situation somewhat. My CPU's are down, but they pop back sometimes to 78%+ then they go back down pretty quickly, way down. That's weird. :-/ However, My computer is still a little hot eventhough the cpu's are down..strange. My computer didn't use to do that. Right now, my cpu's are currently 6%. That's good. :-D Still a little hot though lol. (^_^)

Dan1982

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hello Dan. :-D Thank you for replying. I did a lot of scans, so far, no virus has turned up. Just a lot of cookies and a few pups here and there. Lol. I also did a sytem restore that didn't help, so i went and did a re-installation of windows. So far, it seems to have taken care of the situation somewhat. My CPU's are down, but they pop back sometimes to 78%+ then they go back down pretty quickly, way down. That's weird. :-/ However, My computer is still a little hot eventhough the cpu's are down..strange. My computer didn't use to do that. Right now, my cpu's are currently 6%. That's good. :-D Still a little hot though lol. (^_^)
[/quotemsg]

Thats good to hear that the problem has become less of an issue after reinstalling windows.

Also, one more problem that could be causing the CPU to spike up and down is the all too common problem of overheating. The CPU cooling Gel might be running dry, if you read up about it online, there is a thin layer of cooling gel between the surface of the CPU and the cooling fan that sits on top of it, after a few years it drys out and turns flaky ad powdery. You can buy some cooling gel for around $10 and do it yourself. Ask at a computer shop for more details, it is alot easier to do yourself than pay someone else to do it.

Good luck getting your machine back up and running like brand new. Get rid of that dust too, it make the PC run like a granny.