Question my cpu usage keeps spiking up to 100% even if im not running anything

Apr 20, 2021
when going on task manager the cpu usage jumps from lower than 10% to 100% and an application or background process uses high power and most of the cpu. i want to know why my pc is only 7 months old and i dont know why its going this. im not having any visible impact on gaming it just worries me that it will break. the spikes sometimes are linear and sometimes are not but it goes high to low to high again and its not a virus or crypto miner as i have run scans on multiple anti virus software i dont know if it is the motherboard or cpu or power supply or anything

D

Deleted member 14196

Don’t listen to that guys horrible advice you probably have some kind of malware creeping around probably a mining cryptocurrency thing

Use the resource monitor and look at what programs are running in memory and what the CPU is doing

when going on task manager the cpu usage jumps from lower than 10% to 100% and an application or background process uses high power and most of the cpu. i want to know why my pc is only 7 months old and i dont know why its going this. im not having any visible impact on gaming it just worries me that it will break. the spikes sometimes are linear and sometimes are not but it goes high to low to high again and its not a virus or crypto miner as i have run scans on multiple anti virus software i dont know if it is the motherboard or cpu or power supply or anything
Well....I'm not going as far as saying you probably have malware, but yes it's possible. But even then, Windows10 is never truely idle, my system as over 100 processes with over a thousand threads with no open apps (except task manager). Whether kick off a background virus scan, start indexing a folder, initiate a DISM cleanup, optimize a drive, scan for updates or any of the dozens of other things it does to try and stay healthy there's always something Windows wants to do and will whenever it can.

So unless you open up the definition a bit you probably don't have a malware, but if you installed some of the utilities that come bundled with motherboards and GPU's you may have 'bloatware'. They generally aren't intentionally coded to do harm (as is malware) but at best they're generally poorly coded and uninstalling them can often help with problems like you have. There's almost always something else that does the same thing they do, only actually works without dragging down system performance with it.

You can also get something called Process Explorer, far more capable than TaskManager, to help find whats spiking useage.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
What are the FULL specs of this system?
Make/model of everything.

D

Deleted member 14196

I faced a similar issue recently and although no scans from malware bites or Windows defender could pick it up there definitely was something there. In my case I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows because all my data is backed up in the cloud and that got rid of the problem

I would enable all the restrictions that Windows defender allows especially the protected folders because then you’ll start seeing messages about things that want to access your data and give you a clue as to what might be happening

First thing after format and install is to install malwarebytes paid version and then use OO shutup10 Turn off all the BS that windows has enabled, and that will cut your chatter down tremendously

D

Deleted member 14196

Automatic repair tools are complete garbage and should never be used

I knew something was very wrong with my system when SVC host was trying to access my personal data folders and change things and windows defender was blocking it

D

Deleted member 14196

The thing is there is no program smart enough to properly repair a registry. There’s no way they can know what is correct and what isn’t.

Not this one... It can repair the registry and defrag if you have a HDD... Just an idea.
I'm pretty sure Glary Utilities doesn't exactly do anything itself. It's mostly just a front end for the many utilities Microsoft bundles with Windows for maintaining itself...things like defrag, drive optimize, hard drive check/repair. Even the registry repair and registry defrag are done with tools provided with Windows...you just have to know the command lines to do the same thing.

Curious thing, and especially relevant to OP's original question, is that many of the same processes are kicked off by scheduled tasks. That's one reason Windows is always 'active' even when it's 'idle'.

It is nice, though, to have one place to interactively initiate all those processes though, and adding in features like checking for updates on many of the most popular free apps is also pretty nice. Sure, you can do all those things yourself but it's all in one place.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021
i have a ryzen 5 2600 6 core 12 thread, nividia 1660 ti , 1TB crucial p1 ssd,evga 600w silver power supply,16GB corsair vengence lpx 3200mz ram and a msi b450 gaming plus max motherboard