Question my cpu usage keeps spiking up to 100% even if im not running anything

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 20, 2021
when going on task manager the cpu usage jumps from lower than 10% to 100% and an application or background process uses high power and most of the cpu. i want to know why my pc is only 7 months old and i dont know why its going this. im not having any visible impact on gaming it just worries me that it will break. the spikes sometimes are linear and sometimes are not but it goes high to low to high again and its not a virus or crypto miner as i have run scans on multiple anti virus software i dont know if it is the motherboard or cpu or power supply or anything

Apr 20, 2021
ahhhhhh ok

and when i dont have anything loaded the main thins that cause the pike are system interrupts and wmi provider but when im on something like a game the game and discord use the normal amount and other small applications or background processes use it up

USAFRet

Titan
ahhhhhh ok

and when i dont have anything loaded the main thins that cause the pike are system interrupts and wmi provider but when im on something like a game the game and discord use the normal amount and other small applications or background processes use it up
So applications ARE using it.
Not..."even if im not running anything"
The system does a whole lot of things in the background, when you aren't using it.

Is this impacting your actual use?

Apr 20, 2021
not really not impacting but nothing is spiking on resource manager but it is always on 100% when im using my pc and when im not the % goes low to high and wmi or system interrupts are the thing that spike it and if im running something then that will be the main cause

D

Deleted member 14196

Makes you wonder what WMI provider is doing? This is not normal behavior at all and I fully suspect virus and malware behind it

Viruses can also masquerade as svchost

D

Deleted member 14196

At the very least run the system file checker with the scannow option. And run the Dism commands to restore windows 10

USAFRet

Titan
And there is STILL a lot of applications open.
origin, some wallpaper32 thing, etc, etc, etc...Any or all can be invoking WMI and servicehost.

Turn ALL that off.
See what happens.

Restart them one by one.
See what happens...who is the bad actor.

whats the system file checker and what will restoring windows do and what do i have to do to do that

System File Checker...checks system files and repairs/replaces those that are missing, corrupted or version- inconsistent with the windows version you have.

Run it by opening a command prompt with admin rights: type COMMAND in the Cortana search box on lower left, open the COMMAND PROMPT app with admin rights.

In the command prompt window that opens type the following, without the quotes: "SFC /SCANNOW" and let it run. It can take a few minutes.

To restore Windows....type RECOVERY in the Cortana search box on lower left. Open the Recovery Options applet and look at your options. Read them well.

what will recovery do will it wipe anything
Typing Recovery in the Cortana box will only open the Recovery Options applet, it does nothing else.

If you CHOOSE to reset your system you have options to wipe everything (clean install) or save apps and settings. READ the choices. ALSO an option is to roll back the system to before something was installed with System Restore, but that means you had to have set it up before. You probably haven't done that or you'd know about it.

There are also some Windows Troubleshooters you could run...it's all there on the Recovery Options applet.

What seems apparent is you don't have a hardware or CPU problem, but a Windows problem. Those are frequently the easiest way to fix such Windows problems, unfortunately.

Last edited: