[SOLVED] My CPU when rendering is getting to 100C (Hot) Why!? 10900k

Dec 15, 2021
Hey Guys,

I have an intel 10900k CPU that is overheating and throttling back performance when rending 4k video.... my CPU cooler fans are working and are properly installed. My next step is going to be to disassemble the cooler and check the thermal paste as it was a pre-built PC that god knows what had done to it. If that doesn't work what are you thinking could be the issue... and is there a way to test the hardware?

PC Spec:

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10900K 10/20 3.70GHz [Turbo 5.2GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Copper Cold Plate
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX™ 3070 XC3 ULTRA GAMING 8GB GDDR6, iCX3 Cooling Video Card (Ampere) [VR Ready] [+91] (Single Card)
Ram: 32gs 3200hz Tforce RGB x4 (8G)
PS: 850 Watts - GIGABYTE GP-P850GM 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active Power Supply
Mother Board: ASUS PRIME Z490-P ATX, ARGB, 1GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe + WiFi 6 Intel 201AX

Solution
Probably going to need something a bit beefier, also the case that the computer is in probably has very poor airflow. If that cooler had a chance of keeping the 10900k cool it would be in a modern, high airflow case, not that furnace box Cyberpower probably put it in. That cooler is good for the price but a 10900k sucking down 125-250w+? Maybe not as much. If you can fit it in the case I would get one of the following coolers;
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Noctua NH-D15S
You may want to do a case swap as well if you feel it necessary, if so, grab something like these with fully ventilated front intakes;
Corsair...
What are CPU temps at idle/normal usage (say watching film)? If those are at normal levels I would assume your cooler might not be beefy enough for that CPU at full power. If the idle temps are high could mean cooler is faulty or improperly installed.

Dec 15, 2021
What are CPU temps at idle/normal usage (say watching film)? If those are at normal levels I would assume your cooler might not be beefy enough for that CPU at full power. If the idle temps are high could mean cooler is faulty or improperly installed.

At idle it's normal and varies from 28-45. When gaming it gets to 80 degrees on some games. Im starting to think it's just a bad cooler... which is frustrating.

Could it ever be the power supply? I heard to PSUS can explode that I bought...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Dec 15, 2021
Not as much as bad, more like inadequate for such powerful CPU. Typical problem for a prebuilt machines. Don't call me an expert but 240mm cooler is probably not enough for this CPU. The question is if 360mm one will fit in the case.

That is a great question... I will have to test that out. I think it might honestly. brutal I spent 100 dollars on a Cooler that sucks.... along with a power supply that may explode... Dont buy pre built is what I'm thinking.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's good and bad prebuilts. This was more of a don't buy Cyberpower lesson.

IF you intend to keep the prebuilt - save for the psu and cooler, can you tell us what the chassis is so a new cooler can be suggested?
If you don't know what it is, you'll have to take some pictures around the PC and post 'em(imgur.com) here. Prebuilt chassis from them usually aren't original, and are taken from another manufacturer.
Someone may recognize it and then know what coolers to suggest.

Probably going to need something a bit beefier, also the case that the computer is in probably has very poor airflow. If that cooler had a chance of keeping the 10900k cool it would be in a modern, high airflow case, not that furnace box Cyberpower probably put it in. That cooler is good for the price but a 10900k sucking down 125-250w+? Maybe not as much. If you can fit it in the case I would get one of the following coolers;
Noctua NH-D15S
You may want to do a case swap as well if you feel it necessary, if so, grab something like these with fully ventilated front intakes;
Corsair 4000D
LianLi Lancool II Mesh
Fractal Design Meshify C
Lian Li Lancool 215
Phanteks Eclipse P400A
Coolermaster MasterBox TD500 Mesh
Fractal Design Focus G
The cases will mention in their specifications the size of radiator that they support in case you wanted to crosscheck compatibility for the cases and coolers. The Noctua NH-D15S is 165mm tall and with low profile ram you need a case that has at least 170mm of room to fit the air cooler.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 15, 2021
Noctua NH-D15S
Corsair 4000D
LianLi Lancool II Mesh
Fractal Design Meshify C
Lian Li Lancool 215
Phanteks Eclipse P400A
Coolermaster MasterBox TD500 Mesh
Fractal Design Focus G
The cases will mention in their specifications the size of radiator that they support in case you wanted to crosscheck compatibility for the cases and coolers. The Noctua NH-D15S is 165mm tall and with low profile ram you need a case that has at least 170mm of room to fit the air cooler.

My case has good airflow with corsair triple fans in the front and two exhaust fans. Also the CPU cooler spits air out the top of the case. definitely will look into the artic freeze as that's much cheaper than the NZXT I was looking at

My case has good airflow with corsair triple fans in the front and two exhaust fans. Also the CPU cooler spits air out the top of the case. definitely will look into the artic freeze as that's much cheaper than the NZXT I was looking at
Mind sharing the exact case that you have? The arctic freezer AIOs are cheap but also objectively some of the most performant coolers for their respective sizes.

TRENDING THREADS