My CRT is chirping!!! Anyone know why?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
My CRT started making a wierd high pitch hiss or whistel when I'd turn it on but would go away after a few mins and it warmed up. All the suddon now even after it's warmed up it's now making a chirping noise every 2 - 3 seconds and it's not going away. Picture is still great but this noise is driving me nutz! It sounds like a tweety bird is in there that is somewhat quiet but it's the type of frequency that just peirces the ears. Anyone know if I can do anything or is it pretty much the end of the road for this monitor if I can't take the chirp any longer? It's a 2 year old low end 17" CRT, Mag Innovision is the make. BTW I already tried smacking it a few times but that didn't work.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I don't think any amount of smacking it will help. :p I've had something similar happen to an old TV. Basically the vacuum in the tube was failing and it would chirp or almost bleep a lot when starting and lessen once everything warmed up, but never go away. In the end, it just dies and there isn't much you can do about it.

You may want to make sure that it's not related to any kind of internal electrical failure. That could start a fire or something stupid that you would definitely want to avoid.