Question My Custom Build Computers Never seem to Have Reliable Internet Connections

Sep 25, 2022
Hello,

Basically, I feel as though I must be doing something wrong. I'm currently using my second custom-built computer, and as always, I have issues with internet connections.

Basically, the issues go something like this

-Connections works when I turn on the computer
-After some time (an hour, more or less), connection becomes unreliable.
-Connection becomes so slow that it is almost useless, then, it may stop working entirely

Also, restarting it doesn't always solve the issue. Sometimes, after it gets all problematic, a reset will only cause it to work for a few minutes, then the connection will go to hell again and become essentially useless.

I would like to take the time to say it is almost CERTAINLY NOT MY ROUTER that is the issue. I've had this problem in different households, different routers, connected via ethernet cable, and even connected to my mobile hotspot, and I've still experienced the same issues after a while. I've tried swapping wireless cards, using a wireless USB adapter, etc. The problem persists. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using components that conflict with each other in some odd way.

General SPECS:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
16GB RAM
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Motherboard
TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter
AVAST Premium antivirus (disabling this doesn't seem to change anything)
WD HDD

I have double checked for loose plugins and outdated drivers by checking for updates through the device manager. I haven't used any third-party driver updaters as I don't trust them. I've also done a fresh reinstall of Windows.

Do you have any weird tricks? Something someone else might not think of?

Device manager is not the way to update drivers. For your motherboard onboard network adapters, as well as for the chipset and audio controller, you need to go to the product page for your motherboard and manually download/install the latest available chipset (.inf), network adapter (LAN/Ethernet and where applicable WiFi) and audio controller drivers.

For your Wireless N PCIe adapter, you want to go to the TP-link website and find the latest driver for your EXACT adapter model there, and install it.

Device manager won't find or install the latest drivers unless they are already on your system, and Windows update drivers are generally speaking going to be universal/generic drivers that might work, but are not always the manufacturer specific drivers are are usually not full featured.

Always download and install drivers directly from the manufacturer for that device except where none exist for a specific OS, in which case you don't have much choice but to rely on Windows update. Mostly that is only applicable to using very old hardware on the latest OS versions.

Also, make sure your motherboard is running the MOST recent stable BIOS version. If not, then update.

Hello,

Basically, I feel as though I must be doing something wrong. I'm currently using my second custom-built computer, and as always, I have issues with internet connections.

Basically, the issues go something like this

-Connections works when I turn on the computer
-After some time (an hour, more or less), connection becomes unreliable.
-Connection becomes so slow that it is almost useless, then, it may stop working entirely

Also, restarting it doesn't always solve the issue. Sometimes, after it gets all problematic, a reset will only cause it to work for a few minutes, then the connection will go to hell again and become essentially useless.

I would like to take the time to say it is almost CERTAINLY NOT MY ROUTER that is the issue. I've had this problem in different households, different routers, connected via ethernet cable, and even connected to my mobile hotspot, and I've still experienced the same issues after a while. I've tried swapping wireless cards, using a wireless USB adapter, etc. The problem persists. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using components that conflict with each other in some odd way.

General SPECS:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
16GB RAM
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Motherboard
TP-Link Wireless N PCI Express Adapter
AVAST Premium antivirus (disabling this doesn't seem to change anything)
WD HDD

I have double checked for loose plugins and outdated drivers by checking for updates through the device manager. I haven't used any third-party driver updaters as I don't trust them. I've also done a fresh reinstall of Windows.

Do you have any weird tricks? Something someone else might not think of?
Why on earth would you only have a wireless N card? I would upgrade to at least an AC card

Not sure why you guys think the Wireless N card would have ANYTHING AT ALL to do with this problem while connected via ethernet, but it would not, so you are barking up the wrong tree UNLESS there is a problem with the card that possibly is affecting networking in general and could easily be determined by two factors. One, whether this card has been in use on every one of these systems that they've had problems with and two, whether the problem still exists when this card is removed from the machine.