My custom built gaming pc keeps freezing.

RiverSong

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi.

I recently bought a custom built gaming pc. The first day i used it it worked fine, but after that it started freezing. Originally it only froze after i had been gaming for a few hours, but it has quickly gotten to the point where it will freeze about two minutes after i boot it up regardless of what i am doing with it. I have to force power off when it freezes.

I bought the computer second hand but well looked after from the guy who originally built it. It is less than one year old. Im afraid I know very little about computers, and have not been able to fix the problem myself. Here are the specs as listed by the guy who built it.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k - Not Overclocked but very capable of 4.5Ghz
RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair vengance DDR3 1600mhz
GPU: Sapphire AMD 7870GHZ Edition
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Harddrive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: Samsung 830 Seriers 128GB
Power Supply: Silverstone STF750W
Case: Coolermaster HAF912 Advanced w/ window
Includes Windows 8.1 Pro Installed
Cooling:
Fully custom XSPC watercooling kit worth: $150
Keeping the CPU around 22 Degrees 24/7

Any advice you could offer would be very appreciated. I know very little about computers and am way out of my depth. I just want to be able to use it again. thanks.

bobdole776

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
This could also do with old drivers. Try downloading this program called slimdrivers. It's a driver finder program that also downloads and installs the drivers for you. Just make sure you uninstall it after you're fully updated, it will give small pop-ups trying to get you to buy the full product; free version will work just find.

Took me years to find a driver finder program that also downloaded and installed, its good software, also completely free.

RiverSong

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

its running windows 8.1 pro. that should be fine, right?

RiverSong

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

i will look into that this afternoon. today it has started crashing before it even gets the chance to freeze. it just completely dies, and when i turn it on again it boots up as if i had forced power off. i don't know if this changes anything.

RiverSong

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Sorry i haven't gotten back till now, the site wouldn't let me login. So I installed slim drivers and installed all the updates it recommended and at first this seemed to have fixed the problem. The pc ran smoothly for a couple of days, but it started freezing again every few hours, and completely crashing as well.

Recently it hasn't been able to go even an hour before it crashes, and in the last few days it usually wont last twenty minuets, and frequently crashes within a couple of minuets or even just a few seconds after turning it on. sometimes it doesn't even finish booting up before it crashes. it rarely freezes anymore though, but when it does, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then changes to coloured screen, either with a solid random colour (it is different each time) or thin vertical stripes of two colours (also different every time).

I have no idea what is going on. Anything you could recommend, i would be happy to try.