[SOLVED] My custom server pc is unresponsive and now wont boot?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I have a xeon x5670 with 24 gb of ram in an Asus sabertooth 58x. I use it to run a minecraft server which it did at a time. I left the computer on for a few hours and when trying to get into it with teamviewer it would not show up. I didnt bother plugging in to a monitor because it's a hassle, hence the teamviewer but my best guess was that it went unresponsive with the server running for a while.

NOW.
My issue is that I hard shut it down and now it will not boot. I get a DRAM led error. I took out the sticks reset the cmos battery and even hit the memokay button. I did some overclocking to the board before because it wasnt reading my full 24 gb of ram, just 20. After adjusting the voltage it showed up. I suspect that is the issue because I never had this issue before. But how do I go back into my bios and fix the voltage? How do I keep it from misreading my ram?

Solution
I get a DRAM led error. I took out the sticks reset the cmos battery and even hit the memokay button. I did some overclocking to the board before because it wasnt reading my full 24 gb of ram, just 20. After adjusting the voltage it showed up. I suspect that is the issue because I never had this issue before. But how do I go back into my bios and fix the voltage? How do I keep it from misreading my ram?

Post specs of power supply, post voltages being delivered as reported in BIOS, and post specs of what memory, and what voltage that memory requires vs. what it's actually getting. Is the memory registered or non-registered, and does the motherboard require registered memory? I suspect the power supply first...

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I'm get a boot bios compatibility. It keeps looking for a usb or driver or something. Do I need to install a bios update on a flash drive or something? I tried putting single sticks of ram in all 6 ram slots and even looked at the manual for proper installation orders

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
did you try different stick? could be 1 or few ram stick failed
I tried every stick in every combination and permutation I could think of. And for a moment, I got something to show up, bad bios, error message looking for a ROM file on a usb. but now it just isn't doing that anymore. I tried single, all double ram installs. I took the cmos battery out for 10-15 minutes over 10 times now. I even used the jumper prongs on the motherboard with the power on, with power off. I tried every step. I am near giving up. I just want to reset the voltage which I assume could be the problem, now I think it could be a different problem?

The pc was unresposive to teamviewer so I assumed it was just frozen or locked up, but I didnt verify what was actually wrong with it. I just held the power button to shut it off. This started everything. So if there is a still a chance for hope and keep going, let me know. Because Im about to scrap the entire thing. Its incredibly time consuming and troublesome.

Aug 7, 2018
I get a DRAM led error. I took out the sticks reset the cmos battery and even hit the memokay button. I did some overclocking to the board before because it wasnt reading my full 24 gb of ram, just 20. After adjusting the voltage it showed up. I suspect that is the issue because I never had this issue before. But how do I go back into my bios and fix the voltage? How do I keep it from misreading my ram?

Post specs of power supply, post voltages being delivered as reported in BIOS, and post specs of what memory, and what voltage that memory requires vs. what it's actually getting. Is the memory registered or non-registered, and does the motherboard require registered memory? I suspect the power supply first, compatibility and/or voltage issues with the memory 2nd.

FYI unless you changed the timings of the memory (did you?), I believe the correct term is "overvolted". I'd like you to prove that you OVER volted, vs. simply giving it what it required (or even less than that). Meaning you have to know for sure 1. What the memory wants and 2. what it's actually getting.

Solution