[SOLVED] my d: drive thinks it is c drive, even though it is a separate drive!

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
hello! i have a laptop with a 256SSD (c: drive) and a 1GB HHD (d: drive). when the c: filled up, i wanted to put the extra stuff on d:, but when it begins to move the files, a message pops up telling me there is no room on d: it thinks it is the 256gb c: drive. i've tried replacing the d: drive, formatting it, but it STILL thinks it is part of the c:!

how can i make the drive know it is NOT a 256GB ssd?

View: https://imgur.com/f7oOIjC

Last edited:
Solution
Was windows on E drive originally as it would explain why all the normal windows partitions on it.
Did you take hdd out when you installed on ssd as that would explain why you have 2 EFI but not why you don't have a recovery partition on C drive. something odd there.

curious the 805mb partition doesn't even say its unallocated.

what shows the error? are you using file explorer to move files?

also, whoever set this up originally put the d: as disk 0 and the SSD boot drive as disk 1...will that mess things up too?
that is how mine is set up, C drive is disk 1. It doesn't make any difference.

berbes

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
hello. no, i don't. when i formatted the new HDD, i called it E:, hoping to break any kind of old link between the SSD and the old HDD. i'm thinking i have to delete some of the old partitions, but i don't want to pull the wrong pin and lose the needed info on c:

also, whoever set this up originally put the d: as disk 0 and the SSD boot drive as disk 1...will that mess things up too?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was windows on E drive originally as it would explain why all the normal windows partitions on it.
Did you take hdd out when you installed on ssd as that would explain why you have 2 EFI but not why you don't have a recovery partition on C drive. something odd there.

curious the 805mb partition doesn't even say its unallocated.

what shows the error? are you using file explorer to move files?

that is how mine is set up, C drive is disk 1. It doesn't make any difference.

Solution