My (D:) drive turned into DVD-RW(D:)

yolokid420

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I used to have 2 drives where i could save files on, C: and D:. I don't know why but my D: is no longer normal like my C: and it was turned into DVD-RW instead? Anyone that knows anything about this? This was several years ago but I didnt care for it until now when i actually need the space to store files that I should have.

Solution
It was always a DVD drive. Maybe it had a disc in it before it was reading the size incorrectly (DVDs only hold between 5 and 9 gb), or it had a CD in it (they hold about 700mb).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Is there a DVD drive in your system?

in Windows go to "Run" and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. Show us a screen shot of what you see.

yolokid420

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

i can see:
(Disk 0 partition 1)
OS (C:)
RECOVERY

only these 3 and I dont know what the disk 0 and RECOVERY are but i cant see the (D:) one.

yolokid420

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

Here is the picture
http://

yolokid420

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

I have a laptop so it might be difficult but i'll see if i can find it and see if its unplugged

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok, its unlikely your laptop has 2 hard drives, and REALLY unlikely it would be disconnected. I assumed we were dealing with a desktop here.

What brand and model laptop?

Does the laptop have a DVD-RW drive in it?

yolokid420

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

I have an Alienware 17.
If i right click the D: drive i can press eject and my laptop will make a noise but nothing will come out of it. Maybe something with the hardware is broken and I don't know if it has a DVD-RW drive in it, I'm not really good with computers

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok if you press eject and the laptop makes noise, its probably a DVD drive, but I mean you gotta help me out here, look around the bottom of your laptop, do you see something that looks like a door. Maybe it has a DVD logo? An Eject button?

Most likely you never had another hard drive, you had the DVD drive the whole time, and maybe there was a disc in it. Maybe it failed.

yolokid420

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

There's nothing on the bottom of the laptop. One the right side i managed to find a wide gap and i tried entering a dvd disc. It worked and when i pressed the eject button on D drive (theres no physical button to press) the disc game out as its supposed to do. I remember my D drive having the same amount of space as my C dirive (689GB). Is it possible that something went wrong with the software when i first got the laptop and it was supposed to be DVD drive from the start?