[SOLVED] My dad says he has a burnt gpu?

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
I'm not sure if it's burnt or not, but I've tried slapping it onto my own pc and the fans spin for a second but then stop spinning and the pc doesn't post.

Is it burned? If not, how do I fix this GPU?

Please ask me for more info if you're not getting enough

Solution
Fans spin then stop might not be an issue, the 600 series had cards with eco fanless modes, some of which (asus) were set by software not switch, so lack of software or moved switch can mess with that.

Lack of display can also be explained if you forget to sync output to monitor input, hdmi to dvi etc

If everything is setup andcorrect and working correctly before/after gpu swap, and you don't even get a bios signal, and you are positive it's not the cable connection, then would be safe to assume a dead gpu, most likely a burned up VRM which may or may not be visible, would take using a multimeter to find.
I'm not sure if it's burnt or not, but I've tried slapping it onto my own pc and the fans spin for a second but then stop spinning and the pc doesn't post.

Is it burned? If not, how do I fix this GPU?

Please ask me for more info if you're not getting enough
You need to remove the heatsink and backplate to inspect the PCB to confirm that there is or is not any physical damage. When I think of a "burnt" graphics card I think of a blown capacitor or the like. What graphics card is it?

Reactions: RodroX

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
You need to remove the heatsink and backplate to inspect the PCB to confirm that there is or is not any physical damage. When I think of a "burnt" graphics card I think of a blown capacitor or the like. What graphics card is it?
Although it’s entirely possible that there are no visible signs of a dead component
Forgot to mention that the gpu is a gtx 660ti

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Could it be because I slapped it onto a 4.0 PCI express slot? this thing supports 3.0 im pretty sure
mb: asus prime z590-v

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Wouldn't have anything to do with it.

What PSU does your dad use?

The GPU could have just died. It's unfortunate given the market, but it's a very old GPU.
let us assume that we had a good GPU because it didn't work when I slapped it onto mine (RM750 2019 version). His was a really old PSU and definitely from EVGA

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe . . knowing the brand and EXACT model will be helpful . . though EVGA has approximately 73 trillion different models of PSU. Some are great PSUs, some are terrible, and they have a whole range covering in between those two extremes.

Still, if it was really old, well, the rigors of usage eventually take its toll on a PSU, so, it could have been a good model, but just finally gone well past its prime.

The video card itself dates back to 2012 I think. Not sure if it's older or newer than the PSU and the rest of the system.

And, unfortunately, lesser PSUs can sometimes take other components out with them when they die.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fans spin then stop might not be an issue, the 600 series had cards with eco fanless modes, some of which (asus) were set by software not switch, so lack of software or moved switch can mess with that.

Lack of display can also be explained if you forget to sync output to monitor input, hdmi to dvi etc

If everything is setup andcorrect and working correctly before/after gpu swap, and you don't even get a bios signal, and you are positive it's not the cable connection, then would be safe to assume a dead gpu, most likely a burned up VRM which may or may not be visible, would take using a multimeter to find.

Solution

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021

I currently don't have a multimeter with me and possibly don't even have any. How do I sync the output to monitor input? I'm a little unsure by what you mean

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Maybe . . knowing the brand and EXACT model will be helpful . . though EVGA has approximately 73 trillion different models of PSU. Some are great PSUs, some are terrible, and they have a whole range covering in between those two extremes.

Still, if it was really old, well, the rigors of usage eventually take its toll on a PSU, so, it could have been a good model, but just finally gone well past its prime.

The video card itself dates back to 2012 I think. Not sure if it's older or newer than the PSU and the rest of the system.

And, unfortunately, lesser PSUs can sometimes take other components out with them when they die.
My dad said that when my Step brother built the pc, it was the best of the best back then, so I doubt it would be a bad psu (hopefully).

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021

btw also forgot to mention that the specific model gpu was by msi (twin frozr 3)

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021

Wouldn't have anything to do with it.

What PSU does your dad use?

The GPU could have just died. It's unfortunate given the market, but it's a very old GPU.
Finally found out the psu he had: it's an EVGA supernova 550 G2

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
G2, very good psu. I have one.

Inputs. It's set on the monitor. If you've been using your gpu with display port, the monitor input will be set for display port. If you then plug in that 660ti with a dvi or hdmi connection, you must change the monitor to dvi or hdmi or you'll get absolutely nothing, the monitor will give you the 'no signal' box and shut back down.

Reactions: Fatblabs

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
G2, very good psu. I have one.

Inputs. It's set on the monitor. If you've been using your gpu with display port, the monitor input will be set for display port. If you then plug in that 660ti with a dvi or hdmi connection, you must change the monitor to dvi or hdmi or you'll get absolutely nothing, the monitor will give you the 'no signal' box and shut back down.
No but it said that when I put in the gtx 660ti, it didn't post (i knew this because right after booting it up but with no post, I removed the gtx 660ti with my rtx 3060 and it said that the previous post attempt failed). Also the fans worked for a second and stop working for the gtx 660 ti.

so it probably wasn't inputs

Could it be because I slapped it onto a 4.0 PCI express slot? this thing supports 3.0 im pretty sure
mb: asus prime z590-v

Each successive generation supports all previous generations. So a 4.0 PCIe slot will still support a gen 1 card.

The 660ti is a very old card by this point. Well over 10 years. Components do age with time, especially power components. There's also electron migration damage on silicon. I would say it's likely died of old age.

Reactions: Fatblabs