Question My dad was fitting a shelf and and knocked out my power cable from the back of the pc. I plugged it back in and now it doesnt turn on. Please help

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Please help I dont know what the problem is. My dad tried to move the pc and the power cable yanked out, is it fried? Please help

"seen"? they can still appear attached but you have to physically feel if they are knocked loose or are seated correctly.
every power cable leading out from the PSU would need to be re-plugged in to verify if they are all seated correctly.

if a new power cable does not help and everything is seated correctly there is still a possibility that the PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM or any other integral part of the system may have been damaged.
if you have a second system in the home or a friend that may offer some help, try the PSU in that system and see if it functions. if not functioning, it is more than likely that the PSU is just dead. if functioning, it is probably one(or more) of the other major components that was damaged.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
"seen"? they can still appear attached but you have to physically feel if they are knocked loose or are seated correctly.
every power cable leading out from the PSU would need to be re-plugged in to verify if they are all seated correctly.

if a new power cable does not help and everything is seated correctly there is still a possibility that the PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM or any other integral part of the system may have been damaged.
if you have a second system in the home or a friend that may offer some help, try the PSU in that system and see if it functions. if not functioning, it is more than likely that the PSU is just dead. if functioning, it is probably one(or more) of the other major components that was damaged.
I have pressed the cables and they all feel like they are in

PSU power cables are IEC cords are (C13/C14) designed to easily detach from the PSU in question. It would be rare that yanking one out would damage the computer.

Does anything come up? (Screen, case light (HDD/power), beeps?)
Do fans turn on?
Is there a rocker switch on the back of the PSU?
Have you tested the power cord on another computer?
Have you tried resetting the BIOS or holding down [Del] on startup?
Make and model of computer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
PSU power cables are IEC cords are (C13/C14) designed to easily detach from the PSU in question. It would be rare that yanking one out would damage the computer.

Does anything come up? (Screen, case light (HDD/power), beeps?)
Do fans turn on?
Is there a rocker switch on the back of the PSU?
Have you tested the power cord on another computer?
Have you tried resetting the BIOS or holding down [Del] on startup?
Make and model of computer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320
Nothing comes up or beeps.
No fans turn on.
Yes there is a rocker switch but it is in the on position.
No i havnt tested the power cord on another computer.
The pc doesnt start up, it doesnt turn on at all.
It is a custom built.

Nothing comes up or beeps.
No fans turn on.
Yes there is a rocker switch but it is in the on position.
No i havnt tested the power cord on another computer.
The pc doesnt start up, it doesnt turn on at all.
It is a custom built.

First step is test the power cord on another computer. (I'm guessing this isn't a custom build laptop, but rather a desktop.) Lets see if the power cord broke, which is much more likely. They are cheap and easy to replace.

There is no reason it shouldn't. Like I said, the connector is standardized.

But don't stress test the computer on it. It is possible (although rare) that the EVGA cord might be of cheaper quality and handle less current. (Will be written on side of cord) A simple startup shouldn't overload it, but I wouldn't game on it till you know what the load ratings on each are.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
There is no reason it shouldn't. Like I said, the connector is standardized.

But don't stress test the computer on it. It is possible (although rare) that the EVGA cord might be of cheaper quality and handle less current. (Will be written on side of cord) A simple startup shouldn't overload it, but I wouldn't game on it till you know what the load ratings on each are.
No changes the coolermaster power cable still doesn't have any affect but the evga one which is in the pc that won't turn on works with a working pc

No changes the coolermaster power cable still doesn't have any affect but the evga one which is in the pc that won't turn on works with a working pc
Normally I would swap out the PSU's myself to see if the PSU is bad. But I doubt you are comfortable doing this. ALL the cables have to be swapped if it's a modular power supply. Modular cables are NOT swappable between PSU's. (Power cords yes, power cables inside the case NO)

So next step is to see if the EVGA power supply is still under warranty and start an RMA process.

Reactions: Shay Green

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Normally I would swap out the PSU's myself to see if swapping the PSU is bad. But I doubt you are comfortable doing this. And ALL the cables have to be swapped if it's a modular power supply. Modular cables are NOT swappable between PSU's. (Power cords yes, power cables inside the case NO)

So next step is to see if the EVGA power supply is still under warranty and start an RMA process.
I think I might do what you said, RMA. However in the morning I will unplug absolutely everything and put it all back in, to see if it is maybe grounded or short circuited. Thank you very much for your help, I will keep you posted in the morning

D

Deleted member 14196

make sure the PSU switch is ON and try plugging it into another outlet in a different room maybe? try to get on another circuit to rule out power from the wall problem. it does not seem likely that that should cause a pc to just die.

did you try the paperclip test on the power supply just to see if it's not fried?

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Power supply wasn't the issue, swapped it into another pc and it was fine, also tried the paperclip test, thank you @minibois. RAM also wasn't the issue, now I tried swapping the motherboard and straight away it bursts into life. Something must have been fried in the motherboard when the power was cut abruptly. Apparently very rare but can happen. Ordered a new one for tomorrow. Thank you @digitalgriffin for the help too, but turns out the motherboard was fried. I did swap the psus and try the paperclip test to confirm and it wasnt that.

Last edited: