My dads computer continuously freezes on windows updates for the past year.

Loose1eaf

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I have gone through 3 new hard drives and all the tricks I have, nothing has stopped these updates from getting hung up at a random percentage during an update. It's windows 10, and for awhile I thought everything was good because I had disabled windows updates but it apparently re-enabled itself and updated last night and froze again. He has broken hard drives before from having to hard shut down the pc when it freezes and I am at my wits end with this idiotic problem. Please I need help before I go crazy.

Solution
I assume pops is a casual user doing just mainstream things. Windows7 is likely all he needs on the machine. So Install windows 7 . Updates to the install version would be humongous but they need not be since updates are manual and you can just forget about it.

OEM versions are still for sale at newegg et al. and the official MS policy is wide enough to allow you to install it on dad's machine. The license says you can legitimately purchase OEM copies of Windows 7 (any edition) but prohibits you from using that software on a PC you build or refurbish for your own personal use.
Perfect.

iamacow

Admirable
Like is the drives dead? I'm confused by "broken". Unless the drive has gone bad, an update won't do that to a drive.

It kinda sounds like windows is being corrupted from the update. I suggest leaving it for a while when it update. They aren't fast and when it says "DO NOT TURN OFF COMPUTER" don't do that lol.

On a side note, you can do a REG EDIT and disable windows updates. Unless he manually starts an update, it won't auto download and install.

Ralston18

Titan
What internet service does your Dad have?

I am asking primarily because I have family members who live in a "poor service" area and updates are often interrupted and all goes bad thereafter.

And/or they get charged much $ for going over data limits.

Microsoft is moving towards increasingly forcing updates despite end-user desires to stop or block them.

The solution that I am considering is to occasionally bring the system to my home (with much better and more reliable ISP service) and do the updates accordingly. 2 1/2 hours drive one way barring weather, traffic, and so forth.

Lots of issues with that plan besides the drive....

You might consider setting up remote access so you can do "repairs" from your location to your Dad's location. May or may not be viable.

Not for me but I am getting very close to considering it anyway.....

If your Dad is very nearby, get things working again and clone his drive. If all goes astray again then pull the "bad" drive and install the clone. May or may not be possible - just a thought without my knowing the full circumstances.

My sense is that telling him not to hard shut down the computer is not working - could be any number of reasons for that....

Especially if he is a senior citizen and literally not listening or remembering. Know about that as well.

What does he use the computer for? Depending on the requirements maybe moving to Linux or Apple/Mac might be a consideration.

Just to help you maintain your sanity.

[Note: And I will concede that change may not be viable as change is very difficult for many people and all the more so for some.]

All these companies want to be the "one ring" and there seems to be little that can be done about it all.

I am much concerned about "everything as a service".

Will stop at that as going on much more belongs in another category.

Just know that you are not alone.

Loose1eaf

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013

Broken as in dead yea, hard shut downs can lead to drives dying in my experience at least :/ He has left it on overnight multiple times to no avail and has the common sense to not shut down unless I tell him that he has to otherwise it's just going to sit there forever. I've tried the regedit fix from multiple videos but I find that after a week or so it is re-enabled again. That is why I am so dumbfounded by this. I have even reinstalled windows twice now and it has continued to do this.

I assume pops is a casual user doing just mainstream things. Windows7 is likely all he needs on the machine. So Install windows 7 . Updates to the install version would be humongous but they need not be since updates are manual and you can just forget about it.

OEM versions are still for sale at newegg et al. and the official MS policy is wide enough to allow you to install it on dad's machine. The license says you can legitimately purchase OEM copies of Windows 7 (any edition) but prohibits you from using that software on a PC you build or refurbish for your own personal use.
Perfect.

Solution

Loose1eaf

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013

This is what I have concluded I should do as well. Windows 7 never had these issues, and for him to continually get this problem is really inconvenient for the both of us. Thanks all for taking your to respond and help out!

TRENDING THREADS