[SOLVED] My DDR3 motherboard can't read DDR3L RAM sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Hey everyone, first of all my motherboard's model is Jetway MI5-G41SGMD3-LF and I'm currently trying to upgrade my PC but my motherboard is my biggest obstacle, not only it's an old and weak but also completely unknown, I can't find exact information about it and I can't find it anywhere on the Internet as if my motherboard doesn't exist, and my PC is a built one so googling it is out of the question.

Anyways, I wanted to upgrade the RAM and according to crucial, MI5-G41SGMD3 (Not exactly my model, missing the -LF, but I think it's close enough) can accept 8GB of ram and when I was looking to buy some, I found that the cheapest RAM are DDR3L and I did quick googling and all I read was that DDR3 motherboards can read DDR3L so I went ahead and bought 2 4GB DDR3L RAM sticks and they didn't work no matter what, I tried one stick, I tried one stick alongside my old DDR3 2GB RAM and still nothing, those DDR3L sticks absolutely cannot run.

I did more deep googling and read that older DDR3 motherboards can't run DDR3L but I can't find which motherboards exactly that can't run it.

So is my DDR3 motherboard unable to run DDR3L RAM sticks ?

Solution
It's not an absolute guarantee that DDR3L will run on a DDR3 board, as you have found. It's always best to consult the motherboard manufacturers QVL and purchase only from there. That particular board is old enough that DDR3L wasn't even a thing. Not surprising that it doesn't support it.
It's not an absolute guarantee that DDR3L will run on a DDR3 board, as you have found. It's always best to consult the motherboard manufacturers QVL and purchase only from there. That particular board is old enough that DDR3L wasn't even a thing. Not surprising that it doesn't support it.

Reactions: Khalil4life
Solution

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020

Okay, thanks.

I guess I should have just bought the DDR3 in the first place like I said the DDR3L sticks were really cheap that kept my head thinking all night haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.