Question My dead graphics card

Nov 3, 2020
So a few weeks back, i came home from 2 week camp, and i was just browsing the internet, when all of a sudden my pc shut down, like there was a power outage. But it was not. Everything else in the house was still powered on so i asumed that my cpu needed more voltage (since i have it OC-ed to 4.9ghz). but the problem was, that the pc would not turn on AT ALL.... si i decided to go thu the troubleshoting steps that seemes the most logical... at the end i even unplugged my graphics card, and everything worked fine... so i replugged one of the 8 pin power connectors back in (it was inserted in the x16 pcie slot) and after messing around with it, the problem was with one of the 8 pin power connectors on the graphics card.... if i plugged in the other one and left the faulty one empty everything seemed to work fine, but plugging the faulty one back in nothing semed to work.

I switched the ports on the power supply and cables powering the graphics card and no matter what i did it was always that one port on the card that was messing things up. It was getting late but i was desperate so i put the graphics card ih the oven, hoping it would melt the zinc and mybe reconect sone faulty connections.... afterwards i put it back in the pc and the issue had not gone away. Afterwards i went to bed, and after i woke up, i tested it again, and this time none of the 8pin connectors on the card worked, so i just plugged them both in, turned on my pc, and i just heard a component in the graphics card make a short-alike sound and the graphics card started to smell like something burned. I took it out and put it on a shelf, and still deciding if i should take it to a repair shop. <

Aniways, i was wondering if there is any chance that my power supply is at fault here, or am i able to put in a new graphics card in (opting for rtx 3070). any information on why the graphics card would burn out like that, or why only one 8 pin was working, and why the nex day (10h later) none of them would work, or if even mybe the power supply would be able to damage my card like that (but i doubt it since the previus day like i mentioned above, i was switching thru the cabled and the ports in my PSU and no combination fixed the issue where my pc will not turn on under any condition when the GPU had the one faulty power connector ocupied.

My pc specs:

Intel I5 8600k OC to 4.9GHZ (cooled by Kraken X62 AIO)
Asus strix Z390-E Motherboard
G-skill trident Z RGB 3200mhz CL15
EVGA supernova G2 650w gold PSU
Asus Strix 1080ti (now dead)
1 Kingston 480gig ssd and 1 Samsung 500gig ssd
Case: NZXT H510 Elite - with 2 RGB radiator fans that come with the case, + one top (140mm exhaust) and one rear (120mm exhaust)

Ps.

My pc is still running on the same psu that is in question here (EVGA supernova G2 650w gold PSU)

The graphics card was bought used, and the lines in the card that make the esthetics of the strix series so distinct were matte (they were not conducting light) and i have browsed the internet at the time why that would happen and i found out, that it happens due to high temps of the card.... so i replaced the pastic-rubber like line, and after 2 years there are no signs of the new replaced plastic to be matted out at all.... so now looking back i thing the card was used for mining cryptocurrencies and it was in a hot enviroment so the plastic-rubber like tubes became matte.

I know my english is not completly gramaticaly correct so if there is anything that is unclear i can explain again. Any support is apreciated :D

So to summ it up: Is my power supply at fault here, or what could have happened that my GPU just decided to die on me like that (under no load - like i said i was browsing the web)
Is it safe to put in a new graphics card? (probably 3070)

- My pc is still running on the same psu that is in question here (altho i have not been experiencing any other issues with the computer whatsoever)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
My general thoughts:

1) Between the Strix 1080ti GPU and other system components, too much power was being demanded from the PSU. The GPU alone seems to be at 250 watts TDP and a specific PSU wattage recommendation was not noted.

Reference:

https://wccftech.com/asus-custom-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-graphics-cards/

2) The GPU if not ruined due to 1) above then the oven provided the coup-de-gras. Do not reuse the GPU and properly dispose of it.

3) I would no longer trust the PSU.

Take a closer look at your system's power requirements, purchase a new applicably sized (wattage) PSU, and do not reuse any cables from the EVGA PSU.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Before plugging anything in, double check that all connections are correct and fully and firmly in place.

Nov 3, 2020
Then how was i able to run this exact setup for two years now and nothing went wrong, even when i overclocked the graphics card itself? It just doesent add up... i checked with the pcpart picker list and 650w psu has about 200w of headroom... and it never had issues eventhough i overclocked my cpu to 5 ghz in the past and maxed out my gpu.... and now all of a sudden like i wrote previusly, i was browsing chrome and the pc just died. nothing was tweaked at the time or anything.... it just seems wierd for a psu to kill one of the 8 pin connectors.... and like i said before.... one power connector was still alive and i used all posibile cable and psu combinations conected from the psu to the gpu and the only issue was the one 8 pin port.