[SOLVED] My dead PSU killed my Mobo and not sure if something more

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
First before you ask me here are the specs:
FX-8350
8GB DDR3
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP Edition
ASRock 970M Pro3
250GB Samsung 850 Evo
2x Barracuda 500GB hard drives
And PSU...well...
Yesterday while I was playing on my PC it just stopped. I thought it was overheated so I waited an hour. But when I tried to power it on nothing happened. No fans, no beep, nothing! It happened just after I finished cleaning it up. There was a strange smell of something burned from the PSU. My PSU was a generic one, so I guess it was the problem. Tried changing the RAM slots, with/without GPU, hard drives, keyboard or mouse, resetting the BIOS with the CMOS battery or the jumper but sadly nothing happened. Then I knew the PSU was dead. So I got 2 new PSU's from my uncle because he just have so many. One was german 350W, the other-a generic 450W. Both turned on the PC but the Monitor did not showed anything at all and no beep, just fans spinning. I think that the old one killed my mobo. Now Im afraid if the mobo or the PSU killed the GPU or CPU too. Could it be that? I tested the hard drives and the ssd and they were working thankfully. But Im not sure for the CPU or the GPU. Im already thinking of buying new parts for a total overhaul. I mean ryzen 5, 16gb ddr4 and totally a new and better PSU. I'd be happy if the GPU still works. I got it jsut 1 month ago.

Solution
My PSU was a generic one, so I guess it was the problem
Absolutely no doubt that was your problem. Unbranded / generic ones have the potential to die sooner, and if they do, take other components with them.

One was german 350W, the other-a generic 450W.
Hopefully you don't stick with generic ones or the issue could happen again!

Now Im afraid if the mobo or the PSU killed the GPU or CPU too.
There really is only one way to find out, swap out the components with other ones and retest, there's no real magic solution to testing if it has damaged others. Looking for blown capacitors on your motherboard may help, but rarely you'll see any.

Unfortunately this is the downfall of poor quality PSUs, if they go, there...
I think its a very capable setup. You are getting a 6 core 12 thread CPU and capable GPU. Since you don't want to overclock you can find the slightly faster R5 2600x for about $10 more than the R5 2600.
The R5 2600 turbos to 3.9 the R5 2600x turbos to 4.2ghz.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
I think its a very capable setup. You are getting a 6 core 12 thread CPU and capable GPU. Since you don't want to overclock you can find the slightly faster R5 2600x for about $10 more than the R5 2600.
The R5 2600 turbos to 3.9 the R5 2600x turbos to 4.2ghz.
I am not that hungry for the ghz. I know they are important too but most games or things i play or do aren't very demanding but for 10$ why not xD. Btw what parts are good to buy second hand and which are not?

If you want to cut costs you could look for refurbished or open box units with some sort of a shortish guarantee.
If buying used look for sites with buyer protection in case something goes wrong. eBay is a good place to start.

I WOULD NOT but these used:
PSU (little discount)
HDD or SSD (could have a short lifespan from many GB written)
MOBO (little discount)

I WOULD buy theses used if the seller is upfront:
GPU (big discounts, just make sure the seller doesn't say they were heavily overclocked or mined on)
CPU (Decent discounts and only a little risk. Make sure it wasn't heavily overclocked)
Case (generally the worst is that it has scratches or aesthetic issues)

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
If you want to cut costs you could look for refurbished or open box units with some sort of a shortish guarantee.
If buying used look for sites with buyer protection in case something goes wrong. eBay is a good place to start.

I WOULD NOT but these used:
PSU (little discount)
HDD or SSD (could have a short lifespan from many GB written)
MOBO (little discount)

I WOULD buy theses used if the seller is upfront:
GPU (big discounts, just make sure the seller doesn't say they were heavily overclocked or mined on)
CPU (Decent discounts and only a little risk. Make sure it wasn't heavily overclocked)
Case (generally the worst is that it has scratches or aesthetic issues)
This is very helpful to know. I can make quite the difference in the price. Let's say that i have a special skill with making bargains. The GTX 1060 i have was selling for 180$ and i maganed to get it for 130$.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
This is very helpful to know. I can make quite the difference in the price. Let's say that i have a special skill with making bargains. The GTX 1060 i have was selling for 180$ and i maganed to get it for 130$.
Good deal!
Ikr. But it will a shame if its fried. Does the warranty work when things like happen? I hope so. This is one hella of a card with a hella of a nice deal.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
I would see if it does. If you bought it 2nd hand maybe not.
Oh and one more thing. Can it be repaired somehow? Not by me but from a professional.

Also thanks guys for all the support that i got from you. I've learned a lot and realized how important some things can be in the pc. The community on this site is very kind amd helpful. This is my first time making a topic in here and from what i can see its nice.

Just to confirm, you know for sure the GPU is dead by testing it in a known good rig?
If it is damaged:
I know this isn't a very good answer, but it is about the best I can give you without more info...
MAYBE it can be repaired.
Without knowing what happened when the PSU poped, there is no way of telling what components got damaged. There is a chance an input component on the board like a resistor or capacitor failed and prevented the voltage from reaching the power delivery or the GPU, but most likely the card is not easily repairable if it doesn't turn on. If you test it and it doesn't work you could take the cooler off and see if anything looks visibly burnt, exploded, or damaged. A professional board repair shop may be able to fix it and/or run further testing.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Just to confirm, you know for sure the GPU is dead by testing it in a known good rig?
If it is damaged:
I know this isn't a very good answer, but it is about the best I can give you without more info...
MAYBE it can be repaired.
Without knowing what happened when the PSU poped, there is no way of telling what components got damaged. There is a chance an input component on the board like a resistor or capacitor failed and prevented the voltage from reaching the power delivery or the GPU, but most likely the card is not easily repairable if it doesn't turn on. If you test it and it doesn't work you could take the cooler off and see if anything looks visibly burnt, exploded, or damaged. A professional board repair shop may be able to fix it and/or run further testing.
Well...I was playing Metro Exodus but it was minimised. I was browsing in Chrome for trainer...yeah...I dont like getting stuck.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Yup. Hope for the best!
Man...how stupid of me to not pay attention to the PSU. Had to make a research before spending money on the PC. I build it like 2 years ago. Lets hope for the best just like what you said. Cant find any second hand gtx 1660 ti because its so new and buying new is quite expensive. Not sure is i should search for a 1070 since i can find it second hand and slice off some of the price. But i think the CPU will bottleneck it just a little bit.

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
Wow, really....Im from Bulgaria and the site for second hand things is called OLX. There is no Ryzen 5 for sale -__- I guess buying new will do it. There are some sweet 1070 deals tho. Should I buy second hand RAM too? I dont think it can be worn out somehow is any way. But as you said earlier PSU is a bad idea to buy second hand.

The newer Corsair CX line with a grey label are not nearly as bad as the old ones, infact i have had no trouble with mine after a couple of years of daily gaming. You may want something nicer for a 1070.
I would look for seasonic focus line
Corsair TX, RM, or above would be good.
Evga g2

gogo7bg

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
...so I found out what is wrong. The chipset on the mobo is fried. So my uncle was kind enough to give me an i5 760 with a mobo for it. And also the card is fine and ive tested it. But GTX 1060 and i5 760 is not a very good combo. In forza horizon 3 with my fx i was getting around 80fps on max settings. With the i5 its around 40. i dont have the rights to say anything bad about it tho. He gave it to me for free until my mobo is fixed. He will take it to one of his friends which fixes stuff on pc and will tell me if its possible. If it cant be fixed I will start to look forward into the topic we've build up here.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX