my dell 1tb hard drive not showing up on my hp 405 laptop.

Soumya Shubhro

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
my dell 1tb hard drive not showing up on my hp 405 laptop but showing up and even working on my acer.
i frequently use the hp, so am facing problems. please help.

Hey Soumya Shubhro. Where is it not showing up exactly? The HP might not be able to power it up, or there might be some sort of incompatibility issue, or a connection problem. You could try assigning it a new letter and this might fix it for you. Here's a link with detailed instructions on how to do that: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137/
Just click on the corresponding OS.

Hope that helps. Let me know how things go.
Boogieman_WD

Soumya Shubhro

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Soumya Shubhro

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
yes its an ext hdd. all other pen drives and hard drives work with the HP. I even used an USB hub, but still its not working. my brother's Seagate 1tb ext hdd works perfectly. I tried all ports. No luck.! :-(

Soumya Shubhro

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
@Boogieman_WD
it is not getting read. its not even showing up in my computers.
when I'm connecting it directly to my HP, the light does not glow on the hdd. but when i use an usb hub, the light glows, but it still does not work. it doesn't show up on My Computer!

It might be a power issue, but that doesn't explain why it's not showing when it's powered up with a USB hub. Try to hook it up in the USB hub and when it has power try opening Disk Management and assigning it a new letter as I suggested in my previous post. You could also try reinstalling the drivers for the external HDD. And I'd also suggest that you contact HP support if it still doesn't work.

Good luck.