My Dell Demension e510's (Window's XP) keyboard and mouse don't work

rocksith

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
Neither my keyboard or mouse are working on any of the 7 USB ports on my computer. My mouse was initially working, but I read somewhere if you delete the keyboard drivers you can reinstall them and it will work again. BUT when i was doing that I stupidly uninstalled my mouse driver so now NOTHING works. I can't try if it works in safe mode because my keyboard doesn't respond when i hit f12 during boot up.

When i plug in the mouse or keyboard, I get a window that pops up asking if I want to install the hardware, but it's impossible for me to do anything because my mouse and keyboard don't work! the mouse lights up but doesn't move. I heard the usb circuit might be tripped and you need to unplug the pc and hold the power button for 20 secs and then leave it unplugged overnight but it didn't work. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

Solution
First thing I would do is try that mouse and keyboard with another computer and/or another set with yours to make sure we know where the issue is.