My Dell latitude e6510 will not power on either using the battery or the AC adapter. The power light comes on for about 5-10 s

king_5

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
My Dell latitude e6510 will not power on either using the battery or the AC adapter. The power light comes on for about 5-10 seconds and then turns off. Does anyone know what my problem is?

The symptoms fit a few things;
1) Overheating, if the laptop does not allow airflow through the vents (due to dust buildup or other blockage) it can cause that. When was the last time the laptop was physically cleaned? If it has not been disassembled and cleaned, I'll recommend doing that, this video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SHCbqeGs0 He takes it to replacing thermal compound (you might look into that) but you should really only need to get to 3:38 where he removes the fan - you'll be able to access and clean the vents/fan then. If the heatsink itself is removed, thermal compound will need replacement
2) Bad battery, Dell uses a battery system that reports the battery to the machine - if the battery is bad, it may not work. Have you attempted with the battery out?
3) Power Jack, a common problem on many laptops is the power jack where the adapter gets plugged into gets worn from being plugged in and unplugged, it can cause the laptop to not function properly. To check that, try moving the jack while the adapter is plugged in - if the light comes on or flickers, that's likely the cause.
4) Last thing to check is the charging circuitry, you'd only be able to perform a visual check for burnt areas or swollen capacitors - disassembly required also

While I'm sure I've left out a few possibilities, that would be the primary things I'd check

marty8683

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Mine did the same thing and I noticed a small spill on the left side of the keyboard. The monitor was flashing so I powered it off and closed the lid without noticing the same spill until the next morning I saw what appeared to be condensation on the left side of the screen.

I disassembled it the best I could, removing the fan, heat ink and cpu then reinstalling. Nothing in that part looked wet. I also re-seatted the ram module and removed the keyboard. I was able to shake some liquid from the keyboard and dried it thoroughly with a hair dryer.

I seriously doubt the liquid got past the keyboard and am wondering if a new keyboard will resolve the problem. It will not power on with the keyboard removed.