• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

My Dell PC won't power up........... is it the power supply?

True Colors

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hello. I am working on a Dell Optiplex GX520 for a friend of mine.

The computer will not power on. When I plug it in a couple of bulbs on the mother board will light up. However, when I hit the power on button it does not do anything.

Note...... the power button on the front has a yellow light shining through it. I assume that this is related to a power supply problem?

I did order a new power supply and I installed it. However, it did not fix this problem at all.

How can I tell what is actually wrong, and what can I do about this?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

TC

Bubbahj

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Do any fans start up when you start the computer? Can you test one memory module at a time. If still not working maybe your motherboard. Have you recently tried overclocking? I had a similar problem once caused by pushing an overclock test to far, I fixed it by removing the bios battery

hypetype15

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

It may be the motherboard i have that problem couple of times...but observe this

try power on..cpu not starting...

unplug....then after un-plugging focus on the system fan or any fan..if it moves it has ground.. grounded thats not good ....

well that what i got