Question My Desktop Computer Isn’t Connecting Via Ethernet

Dec 15, 2021
Hey all, I probably need to preface this by saying that I’m not a computer expert, but I’ve done my best to research and try to figure out what’s going on here.

So just for context, my desktop is connected via Ethernet and it dosen’t have any means of using Wifi. Lately, I’ve noticed that my computer has been having issues connecting to the internet. Upon startup, it would struggle to connect for about a minute… connecting and then disconnecting a few times, before finally working properly. It’s been getting steadily worse over the course of several weeks. This alone might be a red flag to someone. This didn’t just happen all at once after an update. It was a slow process.

Now it’s not working at all. I’ve tried restarting my computer, unplugging the modem and router, completed a network reset, plugged the cable into a different port on my router, and I’ve used the windows troubleshooter (it just told me to do a network reset).

Under device manager, network adapters, this is what my Ethernet is showing:

intel(R) Ethernet connection (2) I218-V
The decide cannot start (Code 10)
(Operation failed)
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Can anyone maybe help me out with this issue? Please let me know if I can offer more info!

I really appreciate it.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

If possible, try swapping in another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.