[SOLVED] My desktop computer won't turn on, I'm worried I fried the components?

BNWilliams007

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
My desktop PC that I built myself in 2016 will no longer power on, I'm worried that I accidentally fried the components. Yesterday it was working just fine, when I went to plug in my mouse into the front usb port of my PC case (for some reason my mouse often acts unresponsive to my PC, disconnecting it and reconnecting it solves the problem though), I accidentally shocked the usb port and saw a spark for a split-second. Unfortunately there's been a bit of electricity in the air lately and I've been getting shocked by anything metal I touch quite often. It also doesn't help that the computer in my room is on a carpet floor. Anyway after the shock from yesterday, the computer didn't shut off or anything and continued to work fine through out the rest of the day.

Today however when I tried to turn it on, nothing was displaying on my screen, though the PC was clearly running with the in-case lights on and fans spinning, I just thought that it was updating or something, so I let it run for an hour with no display. However, after an hour passed, the display was still blank. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting my monitors but nothing happened, so I then forced my computer to shut off by holding the power button. After that, it wouldn't turn back on. Whenever I pressed the power button it would struggle to turn on for 2 seconds and then shut down. I noticed that my computer was really dusty inside so I cleaned the inside really well hoping that was the issue and tried turning on the power again. This time, nothing happens at all, it doesn't even try to start, it just stays off. I then tried disconnecting my power supply for 30-minutes and tried again but still nothing. I should mention though that even though my computer won't turn on, the lights on my keyboard, graphics card, and motherboard are still lit though.

I don't know what I should do to try to save my computer, how can I even test my components individually to determine what's defective and what's not? I hope I don't have to buy a whole new computer because of this.

Here is the parts list if it helps: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BNWilliams007/saved/Yg2CmG
Thank you for your time.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
first try another PSU. for power issues clear the PSU first. without good power you can do NOTHING else, it is priority to get good power at least for testing. do you have access to another Power Supply Unit? it does not need to be a 1.3KW unit, you will not be stressing parts so the draw just to boot will be low.

BNWilliams007

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
@R_1 Sadly I don't have another PSU on hand, so I'll just have to buy a new PSU and return it if the PSU isn't the issue.
@vMax by CMOS do you mean the CMOS motherboard battery? Should I try that after testing a new PSU?

Last edited:

BNWilliams007

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
So I ended up buying a PSU tester and a new PSU. I tested both my old PSU and my new one, both of them gave me an LL on the PSU tester meaning low voltage. I tried plugging the new PSU into my rig but my computer still won't turn on, I'll try the COM battery suggestion next after I return the new PSU, does anyone have any other suggestions if replacing the COM motherboard battery doesn't work?