Question My desktop is powering down when gaming, not sure if the GPU or the PSU is to blame ?

Dec 13, 2022
So, as the title says, my desktop has gone from being able to play demanding games non-stop from randomly powering down after, at most, two Overwatch 2 games (half an hour at most). I'm talking about cut to black, everything suddenly stops.

Some information that might be useful:
  • Whenever the PC powers down, it does not power back up when I press the button at first. I have to unplug it, hold the button down for a few seconds, plug it back in and then press the button again. Sometimes I gotta repeat this process two or three times.
  • I stress-tested my CPU for a few minutes and nothing happened. When I stressed-tested my GPU, the PC powered down in a few minutes. The stress-tests consisted of generating cryptographic hashes.
  • When stress-testing the GPU, the temperature did no go above 70º C before it powered down. This makes me think overheating is not the issue, unless the sensors are faulty.
  • I opened up the desktop, removed the CPU cooler fan and the whole GPU, dusted everything off (if wasn't that dusty) and installed everything again. Stress-tested the GPU again and it lasted thrice as long but eventually powered down after a while. (Edit: Please note that this might have been a coincidence, I'm not sure)
At first, I thought the issue was the PSU but now I'm not so sure. What do you think? Unfortunately, I don't know how to troubleshoot a faulty PSU besides swapping it for a new one. I don't have a spare PSU, so I'd like to be 100% sure before buying a new one.

Specs:
GPU - AMD Radeon RX 580 Series 8gb
CPU - Intel i5 4440
PSU - Corsair CX 600
(If there's anything else relevant please let me know)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Check Event Viewer to see if any relevant error codes are showing.

I would be reticent to spend a lot towards 'parts swap' type troubleshooting on a rig of this age. If indeed you do choose to purchase parts along the line of troubleshooting, buy things that would be helpful in a projected future build.

Dec 13, 2022
Check Event Viewer to see if any relevant error codes are showing.
I'm running Linux, so I am afraid I can't.
I would be reticent to spend a lot towards 'parts swap' type troubleshooting on a rig of this age. If indeed you do choose to purchase parts along the line of troubleshooting, buy things that would be helpful in a projected future build.
I agree, thanks for the advice. That's what I'll end up doing if I have no more recourse, but I'm still hoping someone can give a more definitive answer so I won't spend money needlessly.

TRENDING THREADS