[SOLVED] My desktop is shutting down randomly

Aug 11, 2019
Hi guys, I have some detective work for some of you.

My desktop is shutting down randomly followed by a PSU click and, if that happens, if I try turning on my desktop it shuts down right away followed by the same click or is stays in a continuous reset loop, it depends.

The PSU is a Corsair AX1200i which I have just RMAd and the guys said there's nothing wrong with the unit. The GPU was removed, same with the sata SSDs for troubleshooting but it's still shutting down randomly (similar to a short circuit).

My desktop components:
MB: Gigabyte Z390 HD3P (Just updated to the latest BIOS this morning hoping it would fix the issue)
CPU: Intel i5-8400
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB
GPU: Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
Storage 1: M2 970 Evo 1TB
Storage 2: Sata 850 Evo 250GB
Storage 3: Sata 850 Evo 250GB

What would be the culprit in this situation? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Solution
That is a very good way to do it. Honestly your power supply is almost double the power you need for that build, so a couple suggestions:
  1. Move the computer to another room to make sure something in the circuit isn't causing your issue.
  2. Buy a 600-watt power supply locally if for nothing else testing purposes.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Test your system with a known, good power supply (one you may have laying around or borrow from a friend). Test it without the GPU installed. If the system boots, then you can start to suspect the power supply. If it still fails to boot, then you should start looking at other issues.

-Wolf sends

Aug 11, 2019
Z370 HD3P Motherboard Manual

Pgs. 12 (item 19) and 19.

Are you getting any status lights from the CPU/VGA/DRAM/BOOT (Status LEDs) ?

-Wolf sends

Thanks for the heads-up. There are two scenarios (as I stated above)
  • if it's shutting down right away after pressing the power button -- the CPU red led lights up then turns off
  • If the desktop turns on properly, during the booting period, the status LEDs light up in this order CPU > VGA > Boot, one at a time then windows boots up. After a while the PC just shuts down.

Last edited:
What extra components are in the case, besides the parts you listed? Any lights? Do you have anything plugged into a front USB port (or through added components mounted) on the case, which would run off the USB external connector pins on the motherboard?

Aug 11, 2019
I have tried to get to a bare minimum of connected components to run the PC.

So far, I have connected to the motherboard:
  • 2 RAM slots
  • CPU
  • M2 SSD
I have nothing connected to the front USB panel of the case.

Last edited:
That is a very good way to do it. Honestly your power supply is almost double the power you need for that build, so a couple suggestions:
  1. Move the computer to another room to make sure something in the circuit isn't causing your issue.
  2. Buy a 600-watt power supply locally if for nothing else testing purposes.

Reactions: liviuamdi
Solution
Aug 11, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion, Ketchup. It shuts down in the same random way, unfortunately.

A friend of mine said that the case power button cable could actually do a short circuit somewhere. Is this even possible?

I will start looking for a 650-700w PSU today. Any suggestions are appreciated. I might change the platform and upgrade to a 3700x in the upcoming months.