Status
Not open for further replies.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone!

Recently, I've been having a recurring issue on Xubuntu 20.04 LTS where my desktop freezes up but I can move my mouse cursor around and access TTYs.

Somebody told me that this issue has been happening with other Linux distros as well. I also found out that a bunch of people who are running Ryzen CPUs are greatly affected by this issue as well.

I'm currently running an Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3 CPU in my system so I'm not sure why I keep getting these freezes.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
That CPU was launched in 2011, is that the age of the rest of the system too? Have you installed old harddrives too?
My system was originally built in 2014. Later on, I upgraded to an ASUS Z97-E mobo with the Xeon E3 I mentioned, and also put in a Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD into my system. The hard drive that's in my PC is original, though.

Ok - in the menu somewhere, you should find an utility called Disks. Find it, and in a menu in that utility you should find an item called "S.M.A.R.T" -something. There you should see the health status of the hdd.
Take a screenshot of that, and I can try to see if the hdd is in good shape or not.

System32_76

Commendable
Jul 29, 2019
Ok - in the menu somewhere, you should find an utility called Disks. Find it, and in a menu in that utility you should find an item called "S.M.A.R.T" -something. There you should see the health status of the hdd.
Take a screenshot of that, and I can try to see if the hdd is in good shape or not.
My SSD (OS Drive) and HDD (Storage Drive) are in good health. I checked both of them in my system and they haven't failed at all yet. However, for the HDD, the "UDMA CRC Error Rate" is 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.