My desktop PC isn't turning on thoughts?

jonathan_g

Reputable
May 5, 2014
So within the last month (after a power surge through my house I believe) or so my desktop PC wouldn't turn on every time I would hit the power button. I would have to try two or three times and then it would turn on. Ever since then, it was getting progressively worse and worse to the point where I would have to hit the power button about 10 times to get it to power on. Well now it seems like no matter what I do I cant seem to get it to power on. If it matters my tower is a Vostros 430 that I purchased back in 2009.

A couple of questions I have:

1. I am taking a guess here that this is my psu that is messed up since it was able to power on before and now it cant? And so I could potentially replace just that and be good?

2. My data on the hard drive is still in tact and not corrupted if this is the case right? Before when I was able to get my tower to power on it looked to me like everything was working in tip-top shape.

Thanks for any advice given :)

Solution
Sounds like a bad PSU, if you want to make sure it is the PSU there are some PSU testers out there that will tell you whether it is bad. Until you test that PSU i'd leave the PC unplugged to avoid any other damage to your PC components.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Sounds like a bad PSU, if you want to make sure it is the PSU there are some PSU testers out there that will tell you whether it is bad. Until you test that PSU i'd leave the PC unplugged to avoid any other damage to your PC components.

Solution