My desktop will not allow to download anything...

paulam1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
I have purchased a used desktop windows vista 7, everytime when I am trying to download any file, the error message of cannot download file due to a virus has been detected.... so I uninstalled AVG, and set the windows defender to not interfere, still having issues, as this is a new system to me, I would love for someone with the knowledge to give their help on this topic... thanks in advance!:)

Solution
OK

Turn Windows Defender back on
Uninstall AVG
Download Avast
Install it
Turn Defender off

Does everything work?

Moving on:
If an anti-virus application says something is a virus, it probably is a virus.
"Adobe"? What part of 'Adobe', and from where?

Lastly...any OS on a secondhand PC is assumed to be suspect. You have no idea what the original owners had in there, on purpose or by accident. There is no way I would continue to use that original OS. Blow it away and reinstall.

USAFRet

Titan

Downloading Avast from where?

And you really shouldn't have 2 active AVs (AVG and Defender) running at the same time.

paulam1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

The avg has expired, and I prefer avast, but it will not allow me to install anything, including adobe etc.... I am curious to know if it is a setting that I do not know how to tweek.... not to technically inclined... so I am very skeptical in regards to mess with the spyware/malware and antiviral software...

USAFRet

Titan
OK

Turn Windows Defender back on
Uninstall AVG
Download Avast
Install it
Turn Defender off

Does everything work?

Moving on:
If an anti-virus application says something is a virus, it probably is a virus.
"Adobe"? What part of 'Adobe', and from where?

Lastly...any OS on a secondhand PC is assumed to be suspect. You have no idea what the original owners had in there, on purpose or by accident. There is no way I would continue to use that original OS. Blow it away and reinstall.

Solution

paulam1

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

The adobe software is adobe pro xl. This is what I am also trying to install, I will reset the whole system, I was just trying to verify there were no previous programs I needed, As I said before I am not technically inclined, this was bought for my children to complete homework only....As for the questionable illegal content etc... you are correct, I am just to faith based with my opinions hoping there are not bad ppl in the world:) Thanks for your help, I will reply asap. It is truly appreciated!