_Joe_D_

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Problem: Desktop randomly turned off while playing Witcher 3. I tried to switch it back on, but nothing happened. The keyboard is still on, and when I unplug and re-plug in my PC, the light will come on for maybe half a second, as well as the fans, but then nothing whenever I try again (although keyboard is still receiving power). My speakers are also repeatedly making very quiet buzzing sounds off and on. Please help.

More Background: I built my gaming PC 4 years ago, and have had no problems since. However, after switching it on for the first time in 3 months, it turned off mid-usage. I then turned it on and it continued to work fine. Over a week later and this has happened again, except I cannot switch it back on again.
I have since cleaned the large amount of dust from within the PC, as well as vaguely check to make sure all the wires are plugged in properly, and that nothing is touching the motherboard that shouldn't, but it still doesn't work.

Possible Solution: I have a spare power supply which I could try, but it will take a while to set up so I would like to know if there is anything else I should try first/ if this doesn't look like a power supply issue.

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer any help, know that you will be making my lockdown experience exponentially better if you can help.

_Joe_D_

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

PSU: EVGA GQ Series 650 watt
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro3
GPU: Inno3d GeForce GTX 980 4096MB GDDR5
CPU: Intel I5 4460
RAM: 8GB

Hope that is enough information.

Falkentyne

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Most likely but this question is very difficult to answer without spare hardware. One of the benefits of saving hardware from older systems instead of selling or tossing the parts is having something to fall back to and test if a component fails on a newer system. Without proper tools or an expensive load tester, PSU's can only be tested in a known working system. Then if the PSU is proven good, then you will know if the motherboard (or a short) is the problem.

Reactions: _Joe_D_

_Joe_D_

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Most likely but this question is very difficult to answer without spare hardware. One of the benefits of saving hardware from older systems instead of selling or tossing the parts is having something to fall back to and test if a component fails on a newer system. Without proper tools or an expensive load tester, PSU's can only be tested in a known working system. Then if the PSU is proven good, then you will know if the motherboard (or a short) is the problem.
I have tried a different PSU and the problem persists. What should I try next?

Thanks.

_Joe_D_

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
I tested with a working Corsair CX600M, I will try and run my pc without the GPU then.

Thanks.
So I removed the GPU and the PC started to work. Does this mean for certain that the GPU is broken? Is it worth me cleaning it thoroughly with compressed air, or is there even a chance that it is the motherboard connection to the GPU that is broken? Are there any other tests I should run before investing hundreds on a new GPU?

Thanks.