My Detonator21.81 experience

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I said I'd post my GF2 benchmarks with Detonator4 drivers, But it hasn't been that simple.
Past couple days I'm glued to the news 4 one thing…So, no time to trouble shoot really.

The Asus GTS (Which was until now trouble free) hasn't worked with Nvidia 21.81 (on Win98).
I'm thinking it's simply because I didn't do a complete uninstall of the Asus drivers.
I've made a couple attempts to run the .exe installer and it's no go…machine posts
but it won't boot through to windows. I'll make another go at that later.

The Leadtek PRO took the Nvidia 21.81 no problems. Of course since I was already using
12.9x drivers with the pro, that's no surprise.

Benchmarks: The GTS and the PRO were both hitting around 5100 points in 3DMark2000,
at 1024x768x32, double buffer, hardware T&L optimized.

After I loaded the Nvidia21.81 for the Leadtek Pro I began to run the benchies once again.
Preliminarily, It looked like the Helicopter game was going to score as much as 14% higher
In the high detail FPS. And it looked like the medium detail helicopter game was hitting
Better, (maximum), FPS - but it did look like the indicator was bouncing around much much
more erratically than the previous drivers had. I'm not sure how cool that really is??
So I can get a better average FPS, but only very very erratically??…
And my (Minimums-which are the ones that COUNT!), looked even lower then before!!!?? Hmm.

And as for adventure game FPS….well, I'll never know for sure…because the benchmark crashes
In the middle of that test. And after splashing out to the desktop from the error, I walked away for
About 5 minuets and came back to find the strangest semi- pseudo blue screen I've ever seen.
(All my tests were on Win98, and that may be a factor….don't know for sure.)
But what I do think is that the Nvidia21.81 win9x drivers aren't 100% stable.

I'd like to hear from other people who had similar experiences.

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It appears as if the drivers do have conflicts with Dos based OS's. I beleive the reason is that Win2K and Win XP are becominbg very popular, and NVidia focused mainly on them.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

I installed them this morning. NO problems so far.
P3550e@880
asus cusl2-c
256mb infinion@160/2/2/2/7/9
32mb GTS2 creative
3357 3DM2k1 I get 80 more points out of these drivers. Not too bad but I havent played any games yet.
You might be right on the old driver suspicion. Try detonator destroyer.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rick_criswell on 09/15/01 09:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>