[SOLVED] My display driver crashes on launch

Jan 24, 2019
Hi, I recently bought the Vega 56, and it was running great on my computer, everything was perfect, but then I decided that my hard drive (which is at least 10 years old) that had windows installed on it needed an upgrade. I bought a 2tb barracuda drive and proceeded to install Windows onto that drive while disconnecting the old drive for the time being. As soon as I install the AMD drivers for the card, and restart the computer like it says, once it comes back on, whenever any program decides to launch, the display fails, sometimes it comes back on, but most of the time it stays on a constant black screen. I updated from an AMD card (the r9 290x to be specific) and I haven't changed anything but the hard drive. Before it crashes, sometimes it says "Wattman defaults have been restored due to display error" or something along those lines, but as I said, if I try to open a program at all, it crashes and most likely won't come back on

Solution
My suspicion is that something got knocked loose on while installing the new drive. Make sure the gpu is tightly inserted into the pcie slot, power connectors for gpu are secure, and lastly the hdmi/dvi/display port is plugged in tightly into the graphics card.

If none of those resolve it and you haven't formatted the old hard drive, plug it back in and disconnect the new drive and test again.

ahmadhijazi0

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019
My suspicion is that something got knocked loose on while installing the new drive. Make sure the gpu is tightly inserted into the pcie slot, power connectors for gpu are secure, and lastly the hdmi/dvi/display port is plugged in tightly into the graphics card.

If none of those resolve it and you haven't formatted the old hard drive, plug it back in and disconnect the new drive and test again.

Solution