Question My display goes haywire whenever I update my graphics card drivers

Inkredible69

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
My GPU is an ASUS R9 380 Series. Only about three years old. The machine works absolutely fine on its own, until you try to update the graphics drivers.

One you do that, again, the machine is fine. But as soon as you run a game that's not in windowed mode, the display will start off by cutting to black rapidly, then eventually you'll lose all display input altogether. Screen goes black, tells you there's no input. It'll come back upon a restart.

Updated to Windows 10 after this happened (was on 7), and while the problem isn't fixed totally (black cutout still happens, display is still lost), it's slightly better in that on Windows 7, after logging in, you'd get about 20 seconds of idle time before the whole display glitched out and froze. Because Win 10 can recognise it's the drivers and do a restore to a less (mod edit: watch the language) point.

So I know it's not the OS, I've also had a colleague take my GPU and put it in his setup, and it's fine. I've also tried different display cables with no change. I've popped out both RAM sticks one at a time and that has no effect, so I know it's not them.

At this point I'm convinced it's a power supply issue, or something with the motherboard/CPU (my SSD and HDD are both very new and I know it's not them). Like, my best guess is that the PSU can't handle increased performance from the GPU and it's cutting out?

I'm just wondering whether anyone's seen this before. I can't think of anything else it could be.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inkredible69

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Well, it would HELP to know what the model of that PSU, IS? It would also help to know the full hardware specifications.

Power Supply: CX600M ATX Modular, 600 Watt (Corsair)
Motherboard: F2A68HM-HD2 (Gigabyte)
RAM: Corsair: Vengeance LP 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
CPU: AMD : Athlon X4 860K 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Video card: Asus - Radeon R9 380 4 GB Video Card

JIC it matters:
Case: Cooler Master - N300 ATX Mid Tower Case
SSD: kingston sa400s37120g (new)
HDD: Seagate: ST1000DM003-1ER162 (new)

I would recommend that you download HWinfo (ONLY. Not HWmonitor, or Speccy, or some other utility). Install it and open it. Choose the "sensors only" option. Uncheck the summary option. Scroll down to the system +3v, +5v and +12v system sensor voltage values.

While monitoring those values, run the Furmark torture test or the full Heaven benchmark. After about 30 seconds to a minute, if it lasts that long, take a screenshot of the sensor values but do not close the torture test or the values will not be accurate. Take the screenshot of the HWinfo sensors WHILE the torture test is running. Post the resulting image here.

You will need to host the image at a hosting site like imgur.com or tinypic.com. Copy the hosted image URL, which MUST end in an image format like .jpg or .png, then click the picture button in the formatting toolbar above your post which is right about in the middle of the row of buttons, paste the "URL for direct layouts" link and click ok.

Inkredible69

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
So the PSU is three years old, same as everything in the build except the HDD and the SSD. For what it's worth, I ran the torture test three separate times, if only for my own curiosity- once without my GPU drivers installed, ocne with the base drivers that came with the component on a disk, and once with the up to date drivers that break every time I run a game. I didn't notice much variation but figured I'd post all three in case you noticed something I don't. GPU does also seem to be running pretty hot which is a concern, but again, apparently runs fine on other machines.

No Drivers: View: https://imgur.com/a/cGLsWEm

Base Drivers: View: https://imgur.com/a/eJTag8w

Latest Drivers: View: https://imgur.com/a/Y3OZPJH